Heavy In Your Arms

Christmas came and went. You, Sam, and Wanda had worked all day to make a fabulous Christmas dinner for the entire team, giving Brigid the time off to be with her family. While Bucky and Nat made sure there was never an empty cup, you and Wanda made sure there wasn't an empty belly in the entire house. You guys spared no expense of your combined cooking expertise. There was baked ham and roast. Yorkshire pudding, along with various vegetable sides. Sam had put out the appetizers and made sure nothing ever ran out. There were also gingerbread cookies and small petit fours sent over from Járnviðr's bakery, accompanied by a very inquisitive Angrboda.

After dinner, everyone sat around the tree calling members of the team that weren't able to celebrate with you. Clint was at home with his family. It was still only Christmas Eve there in Missouri, and they were getting ready to watch a Christmas movie marathon. Peter was hanging out with his girlfriend MJ, so he had to keep the call brief. Scott and Hope were at a tree-lighting ceremony with Scott's daughter. Everyone was doing something with their loved ones. It made you extremely happy to see that even as superheroes, you all still found time to be with the ones you loved.

You privately video chatted with Tala on the hallway bench, while Loki draped his arm behind you. He had not seen you all day because you were cooking the Christmas feast. He hadn't let you go since you sat down for dinner.

"Hello, dear Tala." Loki greeted.

"Hi, kuya." She answered back. He sat patiently as you spoke to your sister about the dinner and New Asgard. Tala was about to head out to the city to meet up with Shawn and Katy for dinner. After exchanging goodbyes and promises to see each other soon, you hung up the phone with your sister.

"She seems happy." You noted out loud. Loki agreed with a slight 'Mhmm' as he handed you a small gift box, magically pulled from his void. It was red with gold laurel filigree on the borders. It stunned you into silence. It was a jewelry box. Small enough for a ring, you thought. Would you be ready for this?

"You're so tense," Loki said. "This is not the reaction I was expecting." He chuckled, trying to make light of the growing awkwardness. He circled his arms around you and held your hand that held the box. With his other hand, he opened the lid. Nestled in white satin, were five golden rings. Each ring was thin and dainty. The middle ring held an emerald in its signature cut accompanied by two smaller diamonds on each side.

"How does that song go, 'On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...'" He started singing.

"Is this what I think it is?" You interrupted him. He looked you directly in your eyes, trying to gauge whether this was a good or bad idea.

"It is whatever you want it to be darling. If you don't like it, I can always get you something else."

"No. No. No. Loki. I...I just — I want to know what your intentions are behind it." He closed the lid. You could see the mask he put on, trying to hide his hurt.

"Wear it. Don't wear it. I just wanted to surprise you with something I thought you would like." He got up to leave. He needed the cold sting of the air outside to get him back to his senses, but you held his hands begging him to stay.

"Loki, please." Tears starting to run down your face. "I'm sorry." He took that as a hint that you did not like his gift. Maybe he misinterpreted your feelings. Did they not go as deep as his? "I'm just scared, Loki." Just then, a roar of laughter came from the living room where the rest of the team was sitting. They were opening their presents from each other. Loki wrapped you in his arms and transported both of you back to his room.

"What is this about, Mayari?" He asked you. You were a sobbing mess. You sat on the bed with your head in your hands.

"Oh gods, I've messed it up. I'm so stupid. How could I have messed up." Loki listened to you rambling on. Each sentence sent a sharp blade to his heart. Does she not love me? She's probably just stringing me along until something better shows up. I must have scared her off with that talk of being my Sigyn and all. He gave a heavy sigh. He felt like his heart was being tied down by a heavy anchor and drowning him in angst and misery.