I'm So Sick

True to his word. Your father came to visit once a month. On the nights when the sky took over the heavens and the moon was nowhere to be seen. The sun unable to reflect light upon the new moon. That was when he would visit, and continued to visit for the next thousand years.

    You never got off the islands. You were its protector. You watched over the people, living their lives. You saw babies being born, people finding love, then people exhaling their last breath. The never-ending cycle of life.

    Your collection of little islands was abundant in beauty and assets. You and the people you had protected never wanted for much more than what the islands could provide. You protected the islets from ravagers, or from the other islanders trying to pillage the resources. The people of the village bought you music as a thank you. They left offerings in exchange for protection and fertility. They would share the newest songs, the newest trends. They would leave mountains of books and papers. Anything and everything to do with the outside world.

    You watched over Tala, making sure she was loved and cared for. Always feeling guilty for having a part in taking away your mother. She was free to come and go, as long as she was accompanied by your father. Sometimes, she would bring you back little gifts from the outside world as well.

    When you weren't watching over the villagers or your sister, you trained. You practiced with every available weapon they had on the island. Long daggers, Kampilans, Arnis fighting sticks, bamboo canes, longbows. You also sang and harmonized with the animals and the waves. Practicing your call on willing villagers.

    One night, when the moon had hidden from the sky, on one of your father's monthly visits, two strangers had accompanied him.

    The Avengers had come to your home asking for help. Two of their heroes, the Man of Iron and the Hulking scientist, discovered the days getting longer, despite it being late in the year. As well as unusual weather patterns and droughts all along the islands of the Pacific. They had uncovered a plot by your eldest brother, to take control of the skies.

    "After a thousand years, you'd think he would give up this notion of taking over." Nature needed balance. The skies belonged to all of you, not just the god of the sun. It belonged to Tala, the goddess of the stars. And it belonged to you, the goddess of the moon.

    "This is it, anak. You have grown more powerful and cunning. Avenge your mother. Stop your brother once and for all and prove to him that you will not go easily into the dark. Show him that you can shine as bright as him. When you have proven you are capable, you can be set free." The promise of freedom filled you with hope and fear. You have known nothing but this island growing up. You had nowhere else to go. "I don't have much longer myself. As soon as I pass, the enchantment on this island will leave. You will be visible again. He will find you. I am proud of you, my daughters. Take care of each other."

    "You can do it, até." Tala encouraged. "When you do, we can explore the world together. I can show you wonderful things that papa has shown me." You smile at your little sister and engulf her in your arms.

    "I'm sorry, Tala. For taking mama away. I will end this." You whispered to her.

    "I never blamed you. You know that."

    "And for that, I am eternally grateful that I have you as my sister."