Chapter 26

Darry's POV

"Steph, I just don't think it's a good idea." I said as I set the table for dinner. "Darry, please? I just want my mom to know that she has a granddaughter on the way. She's nothing like my dad. That's why they got divorced. My dad would abuse her, my siblings and me. He wouldn't let her have us. He told her that if she tried to have a custody battle with him, he would kill us and make it look like a break in." Stephanie explained and I sighed and turned to her.

"Okay baby, if it means that much to you, then you can tell her." I said and kissed her forehead. Stephany is eight and a half months pregnant. "The doctor said that she could have the baby any day now because she's been having minor contractions for the past three days. The doctor said that they weren't close enough together to worry about yet.

I turned to Steph when I heard the sound of something glass breaking. She was clutching her stomach and taking deep breaths while holding onto the table. I rushed to her side and took her hand in mine. "Steph, what's wrong, honey?" I asked and in between breaths she said, "The baby. The baby is coming now." I called out to the living room where Soda was. 

"Sodapop! Get the bag for the hospital and open the backdoor! Steph is getting ready to have the baby!" I shouted and he rushed out the door with the bag. "C'mon baby, let's get you to the hospital." I said and helped her out to the car as fast as possible. 

I turned to Sodapop who was in the back seat with Seph, and said, "When we get to the hospital, you call the gang and let them know what's going on, I'm going with Stephany." I started the car as he nodded.  

"Breathe, Steph. You got this. Everything is going to be okay, squeeze my hand if you have to." I kept glancing back in the mirror in the backseat to check on Steph. I stopped at the red light and waited for it to turn green. When it did, I started driving again. 

"Don't worry Steph, we're almost there." I said and then suddenly, there was a loud crash and everything went black.

~~~~~~~~~~

I woke up and all I saw was a white room and bright lights. I groaned in pain. My body hurts all over. I looked to my right and saw Ponyboy asleep in a chair. "Ponyboy?" I rasped out. He opened his eyes and immediately was by my side. "What happened?" 

"You and Sodapop were bringing Steph to the hospital. When the light turned green and you started driving, a car ran the red light and rammed into your truck. Witnesses said that it was a hit and run. The fuzz are trying to find the car that caused the accident from the description witnesses gave." I leaned back against the hospital bed. 

"How are Sodapop and Steph. Is the baby okay?" I asked and Ponyboy looked down. "Sodapop and the baby are fine." Ponyboy said and I looked at him, waiting for him to say something about Steph. "Ponyboy. What about Steph?" I asked and he was quiet for a minute.

"Steph didn't make it Darry.. she stayed alive long enough to bring the babies into the world. After that, her body just couldn't hold on. The doctor tried to revive her, but it didn't work." I stared up at the ceiling and processed everything. 

"Wait, you said she held out long enough to bring the babies into the world?" I asked and he nodded. "Yeah, y'all had twins. Two boys. You were pretty out of it, so Steve and I named them." he said and I groaned internally. "What're their names?" I asked, scared of the answer.

"Steve names one Lucas James, I named the other Joshua Gabriel." he said and I smiled. "Those are the names that Steph and I had picked out." I said and he nodded with a smile. "That's why we chose them." Ponyboy said with a smile. 

"Well, I gotta go get ready for work in a few hours. Do you need me to get anything for you?" he asked and I shook my head. "No, I think I'm just gonna get some rest for now." I said and he nodded and headed out of the room. 

When I made sure he was gone, I bawled my eyes out. I can't believe that Stephany is gone. She was my whole world and she meant everything in this universe to me. What am I gonna do without her?

A/N: I would first like to apologize for killing Stephany off. But, it's going to get interesting. Trust me.

~Bella