Chapter 35

TRIGGER WARNING: RAPE IS MENTIONED IN THIS CHAPTER

Beth's POV

As I was walking to the Curtis house, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was being followed. Every time I turned around, no one was there. I have a really bad feeling in my gut. I was about two blocks from the Curtis house when all of a sudden, the back of my head started throbbing. I was on the ground, being dragged into the alley. 

"Wh-what's happening?" I said, confused. "Shut up." I heard a familiar voice say. When we were far enough into the alleyway, I was dropped onto the ground. Whoever dragged me, got on top of me and started unzipping my jeans. 

"No, please don't do this." I cried softly. "Sorry, Beth, you shouldn't have slapped me and broken up with me. You brought this on yourself." the voice said, and that's when I recognized it. "Austin? No, pl-" he cut me off by placing a cloth over my nose and mouth. Everything started going black and then I was asleep.

Steve's POV

"She should have been here by now, where could she be?" I said annoyed and worried. "Let's go out and look for her. What if something bad happened?" Gen said, just as worried as the rest of us. "That's a good idea. Ponyboy and Steve y'all go together. Two-bit, you go with Gen. Rosalie, you're going with Evie. Marcia, you go with Raelynn. I'll stay here since we can't leave the twins alone." Darry said and everyone nodded and headed out of the door.

Ponyboy and I headed down the street, calling out for Bethany. I almost gave up on this side of the neighborhood until Ponyboy stuck his arm out in front of me. "What's that over there in the alley?" he asked. I looked closely before glancing at Ponyboy for a brief second. We spinted over to the body and saw that it was, in fact, Bethany. 

"It hurts..." A soft voice said. "Ponyboy, I think she's waking up. What hurts, baby?" I asked, as I gently pulled Bethany close to me. "M-my legs and l-lower body. They h-hurt uncle Steve." she whimpered. "Bethany, baby, who did this to you?" Ponyboy asked. "I-I can't remember anything. I w-was walking to the C-Curtis house and a-after that everything is black." she whimpered in a soft voice. 

"Ponyboy, we gotta get her to the hospital." I said, looking up at him. He nodded his head and I gently picked Beth up. "Don't worry, baby girl, everything is going to be fine." I said softly and kissed her head. Ponyboy and I rushed to my house since it was closer. When we got there, I carefully sat Beth in the backseat. 

Ponyboy and I got into the front of the car and I started driving to the hospital. "Ponyboy, when we get there, you call Darry and tell him where we're going. He'll tell the gang when they get back to the Curtis house. I'll get Bethany to a doctor or nurse." I said and Ponyboy nodded.

~~~~~

"Help! My niece is hurt real bad!" I called out as we rushed into the hospital. "Get her here. What happened?" the nurse said as she rolled a gurney to us. "I-I don't know. We were supposed to meet up at a friend's house and she didn't show up. We went looking for her and her other uncle over there and I found her in an alleyway two blocks from the house." I said out of breath. "Okay, we'll get her to a room. You'll have to wait in the wedding room. A doctor will come for you when we find something out. Emily and Grace, go get doctor Emberlyn, now! Kinsley, I need you in the room with me." the nurse said as she started wheeling Bethany into a hospital room. The doctor and two other nurses rushed in soon after.

"I called Darry. He said that as soon as the gang got back to the house, he would tell them what happened and meet us here. Let's go sit down.." Ponyboy said softly and I nodded. We walked over to the waiting area and sat down on one of the couches. About twenty-five to thirty minutes later, the rest of the gang came rushing in. 

Evie rushed over to me and I wrapped her in my arms. "Is she okay? Have they said anything yet?" she asked worried. "No, the doctor hasn't come out yet." I said softly and she nodded and sat down beside me. The gang all sat around the waiting room area and waited. I don't even know how long we waited. I ended up falling asleep and waking up to someone shaking my arm gently. I opened my eyes to see Evie pointing to the doctor. I stood up and looked at her. 

"How is she? Is she okay?" I asked and the doctor looked at her clipboard. "We had to run some tests on Bethany, I can confirm that she was beat, pretty bad and.. she was also raped. We don't know who it was because the DNA that was left on her body, we don't have the right equipment to run a DNA test." doctor Emberlyn said.

I looked at her and waited to see if she would say that I could go and see her. She smiled sadly at me and nodded her head towards the room. "You can go, and Gen?" she questioned and Gen stepped forward a little. "She's been asking for you two and her parents. I assume her parents aren't in town?" she said and I nodded. "They just left for their honeymoon two weeks ago." I explained and she nodded. 

Gen and I walked to Beth's room and went in. She was asleep in the hospital bed. I walked over to her and pushed some hair out of her face and Gen sat on the bed near her feet. "Do you think she's going to be okay?" she asked softly. "I don't know, baby, we'll have to take it a day at a time." I explained and she nodded.

Darry's POV

"Thank you doctor-" I stopped because I didn't know her name. "Emberlyn." she smiled. "Thank you doctor Emberlyn. She's not going to do too well after this, is she?" I said softly. "I think she's going to have a Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. No, in fact, I know she's going to. She's been through a lot tonight. She'll probably slip into a state of depression and not talk to anyone. Maybe even swear like she's fine even when she's not. The best advice I have for all of you, is to be there for her. Because there will be a point where she is going to feel like she can't live anymore and she'll need the people that are closest to her to reassure her that she's going to get through this. She won't ever get over the trauma, no one ever does. Does that make sense?" she asked and I nodded.

"My youngest brother has it, from when our parents died when he was thirteen. He's gotten better over the years, but he still has triggers every now and then." I said softly, glancing over at Ponyboy as he played with one of the twins. "Are those your twins?" Emberlyn asked and I smiled, nodding my head. "Yeah they are, their mom died at childbirth. We were on our way to the hospital and got into a bad car accident." I explained and she nodded. 

"I thought you looked familiar. I was your doctor when you were here." she explained and I nodded. "You were, weren't you? You looked familiar to me too." I explained. "Well, I have to go and make my rounds, if you need anything, just feel free to ask." she said and I nodded. She walked off and I couldn't take my eyes off of her. 

"You totally have a thing for her." I jumped from the sudden voice and looked to my side to see Sodapop. "Shut up." I said and playfully rolled my eyes. I gotta get the twins back home, keep me updated." I said and he nodded. I walked over to Ponyboy and took the two carries into my hands.

"I'll see you tomorrow, Ponyboy." I said and he nodded. I headed out of the hospital and got in my truck, heading home. I couldn't stop thinking about Beth. She didn't deserve this. No one does, not even someone like Sylvia.

A/N: okay, this chapter is done. the book will get happy again, don't worry.

~Bella