Mission Mania

"All right, that's the last few. Everybody's safe, including one very ungrateful grizzly." Bree said as the group of five saved a group of people from a fire. Then they heard a bear growl.

"Oh, shut it!" Jodie yelled in the direction of the bear.

"The Fire Department can handle things from here. Great work, guys." Chase said, to the other four as the crowd cheered.

"Ah, life is so much better now that we don't have to keep our missions a secret." Adam said as he signed a few autographs.

"I know. Now people can tell us how great we are right to our faces." Leo beamed.

Then the crowd started chanting. "Adam, Bree, Chase and Jo! Adam, Bree, Chase and Jo!"

"Are you kidding me? I've been going on missions for over a month. How can these people not know my name?" Leo asked.

"Maybe you should change it to something people won't forget, like, uh, Gregorio Spiridakis, or Pickles O'Malley." Adam suggested.

"Can I have your attention, please? I'd like to point out that Adam, Bree, Chase and Jo weren't the only heroes. I personally saved six people." Leo said, addressing the crowd.

"Adam, Bree, Chase, Jo and that guy! Adam, Bree, Chase, Jo and that guy!" The crowd chanted again.

"All right, the six I saved, back in the fire." Leo said.

***
"So, long story short, Donnie put me in charge of developing technology for the academy. But only on a trial basis." Douglas said as he stood in the common area with Spin, Bob, Leo and Jodie.

"Why just a trial basis?" Spin asked.

"I honestly don't know." Douglas answered.

"You tried to annihilate his whole family." Jodie said, uncrossing her arms.

"Come on, you've met him. Can you blame me?" Douglas asked, looking at the superhuman.

"Don't worry, big guy. I'm sure you'll wipe him out next time." Bob smiled.

"Don't encourage him." Jodie said to the young boy.

"The point is, I have the chance to get back into my brother's good graces. So, I've been working on some new devices that are really going to impress Donnie. What do you guys wanna see first? The Stabber 2000? Plague in a bottle? Uh-oh. Here comes the pencil bazooka." Douglas said, showing the four his inventions, then chuckled. "You can't erase the injuries this thing will cause." Douglas said.

"How would any of those be used at the academy?" Spin asked.

"Well, how should I know? This one with the questions." Douglas said, looking at the older duo.

"Look, Douglas, Big D doesn't want violent devices. He wants things that are going to improve our lives." Leo explained.

"Well, I don't know if that's really in my wheelhouse. I have been destroying things for years, and now I'm supposed to help people? Where did my life go so wrong?" Douglas asked.

"Come on, Douglas. You gotta have something." Jodie said.

"Well... Maybe this'll work." Douglas said and walked over to a swivel chair.

"Ooh, Italian furniture. I approve." Leo said as he, Jodie, Spin and Bob walked over to Douglas.

"No! It's my lie detector chair. You strap somebody into it, and ask 'em questions. It analyzes their vocal patterns, and determines if they're telling the truth." Douglas explained.

"I like it. But do you have anything in a lie-detecting hammock?" Bob asked.

"Just try it out." Douglas said.