Chapter 9

My breath was literally caught in my throat.

I could feel my heartbeat thumping hard against my chest and I'm trying really hard to convince myself that it's just a result of my workout. Coincidentally, the music had stopped playing in my ears signalling that my playlist had gone to an end. I still couldn't hear a thing with the noise-cancelling headphones, but I was sure my breaths could be heard by him.

My eyes scanned Charles' face from his green eyes to the freckles by his nose and down to his lips. He was doing the same I guess as I felt his gaze on me the entire time as well. I've never been this close to him apart from the time I saw him playing the piano, but that was different. He was sad and in need of comfort but the look in his eyes right now gave off an expression far from that.

Aurora's words from the other day flew to my mind and it was like a switch had gone off. I laughed nervously and stepped away, Charles letting go of my wrists. "—orry, I didn't mean to scare you." He smiled apologetically as I took off my headphones, hiding his hands behind his back.

"That's alright." I shrugged, fiddling with my headphones. "How was your nap?"

Charles' shoulders sagged in relief as he ran a hand through his hair, making it even more messier. "Good. Thank you for that. I don't think I even finished a page in that book I picked up."

"Thank you as well." I smirked as confusion spread all over his face. I moved to the sofa where my phone was and unlocked it, showing Charles the pictures I took of him earlier. "Maybe I should send this over to Ferrari for some social media content?" I waved the phone in the air, taking a step back as Charles glared at me.

"Bellerose, you better delete that." He said as he made a move to come forward while I took a step backwards.

"Sorry, Leclerc, but I don't think so."

In the next five seconds, I found myself locking my phone and running as Charles chased after me. I headed for the kitchen and rounded the counter once before we both stopped with it in between us.

"Are you seriously running from me?" He grinned, both palms placed over the countertop.

"As stupid as it sounds, yes." I faked a move on the right causing him to run towards that direction before I veered left. Before I could even think of it, I stuck my phone into the small pocket of my leggings and ripped open the doors to the backyard.

The sound of the pouring rain greeted me as I ran on the wet grass, the small puddles causing a few muddy droplets to land on my clothes. I only had one destination in mind which was one of the trees holding the hammock. I could easily climb them which I've already done once or twice before. Because I was so focused on reaching the trees, I didn't notice Charles behind me and squealed when arms wrapped around my waist. I tried to pry him off of me but my strength was no use against his.

"Admit defeat or I'll give you a premium mud bath." He threatened as he began walking towards the biggest puddle in the backyard.

"I want to say never but I have my phone on me so I admit defeat." I said and he laughed wholeheartedly before putting me down. We were both soaking wet now and when I looked down, I noticed that he was only wearing socks. "That looks like it feels weird." I said, pointing at his soaked socks.

"My entire body's already wet." He shrugged and even sat down on the grass before laying his entire body on the ground.

I looked at him curiously as he closed his eyes and spread his arms wide open. "You're gonna get sick."

He opened one eye and smiled at me. "It'll be worth it. Now," He opened his other eye and propped himself on his elbows. "are you gonna join me or what?"