Chapter 14

Doing this in Charles' pov and I already know it's going to be a challenge 🙃

As I said in the beginning of this story, I will be changing up some years to fit the storyline I have created. To do this, I had to alter the driver lineups before this story's timeline (2023) as well as delay some significant events. I know it sounds confusing but you'll understand in this chapter.

The Ferrari driver pairings were changed, so for your reference:

2015 - 2017: Kimi Räikkönen and Sebastian Vettel

2018: Sebastian Vettel and Jules Bianchi

2019 - 2020: Jules Bianchi and Charles Leclerc

2021 - present: Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz

Enjoy!

*****

We're always asked how we motivate ourselves to get into these cars and risk our lives every time we drive out of the pits. Some drivers say it's for the thrill, the high we get as soon as our hands wrap around the steering wheel and push the throttle. Some say that the fear is what pushes them to the limit, to be idle and peaceful one second then on the edge in another.

There are also some like me who do it for reasons greater than myself. In a span of three of years, I've lost people who have played a big part in my life and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for them.

When I thought my life had changed in 2018 by starting my rookie year in Formula One, I was wrong in so many levels. 2019 was the year I had always treasured, not only joining Ferrari but driving alongside Jules. He was on the track to become a world champion with Sebastian moving to Force India– currently Aston Martin– and becoming the number one driver of the Italian team. It was one of my best years in F1, to be able to celebrate those wins with him by my side.

If only I knew, I would've stayed in 2019 forever.

On the fifth of October 2020, everything started going downhill. Jules and I were both on the last lap with him placing second and me right behind him. Lewis was in P1 and was far enough for us to know that he'd be the first one to cross the checkered flag. The race had been difficult, with the weather conditions and the constant yellow flags as drivers lost their grip and slid towards the barriers. Jules was about seven seconds in front of me and was halfway with the track when he lost control of the wheel and his car flipped three times before it stopped against the barricades, Jules hanging from the seat. The halo was crushed and broke off when it landed on the side of the track, leaving only Jules' helmet as the form of protection for his head.

The fireworks had gone off as a sign that Lewis had crossed the finish line, but I remember hearing silence on my radio as I approached the turn and I felt my breath get ripped from my chest at the sight of the red car upside down.

"Oh my god. Is that Jules?" I breathed out as I slowed down, not caring about any penalties I might get or the fact that I'd lose this race. The track was filled with debris and marshals were running towards his car, fire extinguishers at the ready in case there was fire. "Someone fucking answer me!"

"Charles, stay in the car." My engineer said over the radio as I turned off the engine. Of course, I didn't listen and quickly got out of the car, not giving a damn if I left the steering wheel there. A marshal noticed me and blocked my path, holding me back as they analyzed the scene. One of them was lying down on the ground and trying to talk to Jules but when he shook his head, it was obvious that he wasn't responding.