Chapter 25

We've hit 7k!! Thank you for all the love 🤍

Enjoy!

*****

I was growing impatient on set.

The scene we were doing has gone longer than necessary and I could see the frustration in Roman's face as well. One of the minor characters kept messing up his lines and it was even him saying the wrong words. If that were the case, Roman would've just let it go as long as the context was still there. Instead, he kept stuttering. If I weren't in such a rush, I'd be helping him but my feet are itching to run to my trailer.

It was the first qualifying of the season today and it's starting in fifteen minutes. Milo and Elliana were already in my trailer since I promised I'd be there in a few but that didn't happen. I kept on looking at the clock placed behind where Roman and the other crew were sitting, the long hand moving closer to twelve.

Finally, Roman called 'cut' and told us that was it for today. I hurriedly said goodbye before running towards my trailer, probably looking like a madman. I slammed open the door of my trailer to be met by Milo and Elliana who were on the sofa as Sky Sports played on the television.

"What took you so long?" Elliana asked as I plopped down beside them and removed my shoes.

"Someone was messing up their lines." I sighed, grabbing my phone. There was a text message from Charles which I immediately replied to, telling him good luck, but I'd doubt he'd see it since he's already in the car.

Qualifying began with most of the midfield cars going out first as they tried to get their times in. It wasn't until five minutes later that the top performing ones drove out of the garage. Ace was the first one to be shown on the camera, while Carlos, Max, and Charles followed behind him. During the first lap, they began slowing down during the corners to put some space between each other. The fastest time to beat was George Russel's– Ace's teammate in Mercedes– placing first in the 1:32s.

Milo cheered from beside me as Ace got purple sectors in the first and last one while Carlos nabbed the second when he did his first lap. I was on the edge of my seat, watching as Charles didn't begin his lap yet and went for another go around the track. Max did, however, and is now on pole since he received purple in all sectors, leaving Carlos for P2 and Ace for P3.

"Ugh, Verstappen." Milo groaned and Elliana and I laughed at him.

I grew quiet when Charles passed through the grid and began his flying lap. My two companions kept on making comments about it but I was focused on him as he wheezed through the track. When he began getting purple sectors, I felt a smile growing on my face. His name moved to the top of the list as he got pole for Q1. Carlos and Ace tried again, resulting in them getting P3 and P2 respectively. Charles didn't make a second attempt with the last three minutes of the session and drove back to the garage.

"Your boyfriend is a qualifying god." Elliana said, telling me how Charles has most of the time gotten pole in the previous season.

"He's not my boyfriend." I quickly said and the two looked at each other before smiling. With only two more minutes left, a red flag suddenly flashed through the screen and it showed Nicholas Latifi's car beside the barriers. The crash didn't look like it was that bad apart from a broken front wing but because of its placement by the chicane, the drivers had to return to the pits. The session was suspended for another fifteen minutes as the marshals fixed the mess and the remaining drivers who wished to get in a last lap could still do so.

The cameraman showed footage of Carlos and Charles getting out of the car, mechanics clapping them on the back. Charles removed his helmet and balaclava, ruffling his hair to get rid of the flatness. He moved to the back side of the garage, taking a seat and sipping on his drink. Someone passed him his phone and the three of us watched as he tapped on it a few times before a smile grew on his face. I could feel Milo and Elliana's eyes on me as my phone vibrated with a reply from Charles.