Chapter 15

We're back to Valentine's pov here and thank you so much for 2k reads!

Enjoy!

*****

I don't even know if I can manage any words to speak when Charles finished.

We had drank over half of the bottle now yet he's still able to talk straight as he went through everything that occurred the past three years. The first few days I saw him in Italy made sense and to be honest I'm shock he's managed to look better in just a few weeks. I can't imagine the pain he must've felt to lose three people that fast. By the time he was beginning to heal from the other, another loss happens, crushing any walls he's tried so hard to build.

He knocked back the drink currently in his glass, not opting to refill it anymore. "I came here to take a breather away from everything and I think I have you to thank for that."

I tilted my head as I looked at him. We were still on the floor in between the sofa and the table but my body was facing his. His legs were extended underneath the table with his head leaning on the sofa, eyes trained to the ceiling. "You would've been okay even if I wasn't here."

"That's the thing." He said, head turning to look at me. "I'm not just okay. I feel good and that wouldn't have happened without your help."

"You're not going to let this go are you?" I smiled, knowing that he was going to keep pushing my involvement. He shook his head and flashed me a smile, telling me that he was a bit tipsy by the blush forming on his cheeks. "You're welcome, then. And I'd gladly do it again."

"Really?"

"You're not difficult to spend time with, Leclerc. Plus, I'd like to see your scared face again every time I'm behind the wheel."

He groaned before grabbing a throw pillow and pushing it against my face. "I'll let you ride inside an F1 car someday and let's see who'll be scared."

Silence wrapped around us as I finished the last of my whiskey. I copied his position and leaned my head back, the both of us looking up at my blank ceiling. "I'm proud of you." I whispered and I heard Charles' head move against the sofa, his face turning towards me.

"For what?" His voice was low as well despite no one else in the house aside from us. I turned my head and was surprised to see only a few inches in between our faces. Up close, I could see his green eyes that had this bright look in them whenever I got the chance to be near enough to see the tiny gold specks.

I was tempted to run my fingers through his hair that was more ruffled than ever with the amount of times he messed it up earlier, but my hand stayed glued on my lap. "Surviving to the end of the line." I said and the most beautiful thing happened. Slowly, his lips moved from a straight line to a full blown smile– my favorite smile of his because it showed the Charles Leclerc that I knew has been there all along.

"Netflix could use that line." He chuckled and I laughed knowing that it'd be true. "Do you want to watch a few races tomorrow?" I looked at him curiously since as far as I know, the season hasn't begun. "Previous ones."

"You'd be okay with that?" I asked since I knew how uncomfortable it can be to watch your work with someone else. Even I feel like that sometimes.

He nodded his head. "So that you can actually know more and I wouldn't have to explain as much." It was my turn to slap him with the pillow and he laughed hard as I glared at him. Suddenly, a yawn fell from my lips and Charles patted my head. "Maybe we should turn in for the day."