. xx

Another flashback chapter! This one is a little longer than usual, btw

Also probably a little more ooc with Daniel compared to what we're used to in canon?? Since he was reaaaally petty in the first few chapters.

-

The third year of middle school. It was unpleasant.

Or rather, it was as it has always been. However, this time, there was no silver lining to look up to. There are no days to wait for, and no more reason so count the days for.

It's been a few months since Hostel split into two.

It was nothing but a ghost of the warm family it once was. And having met the remaining members only once or twice, she feels as if there's no reason for her to keep visiting.

It was so...mundane.

Nobody in school was ever nice. No one took initiative to let her join their merry conversations. Most of the time, (Y/N) was left alone.

It was no different from her life in the streets.

One day, her brother approached her. His face was bruised, and he was avoiding her eyes.

When (Y/N) first met Daniel Park, she was afraid and jealous of him. She envies him for having a parent to look after him, but remained careful and far in fear of seeing the kind vision in front of her shatter.

But ever since she learnt to accept them, she has grown to know the love of a mother, and the feeling of having someone to call "brother".

Their interests are quite different. While she took interest on certain genres of books from both the library and the internet, he seemed to always be looking up what's popular lately. He knows the things that everyone else of their age likes.

There was a time when she looked up to him for that knowledge. As young as she was, the (h/c) haired child could only admire how her new brother knew how to get others to like him.

Such was not the case these days.

He seemed to be...avoiding her. They barely talk at school anymore. He doesn't like walking home with her and he no longer looks her way or hand her free snacks.

Naturally, she was happy when he interacted with her again.

"(Y/N)..." he spoke, hesitant. "Do you still have the lunch money mom gave you today?"

"My lunch money?" she tilted her head. Her hand slipped inside her bag, and she trustfully handed to him the money she dug out "It's here. Why, do you need it?"

"Yeah."

"Alright. Just return it to me when you can."

"...Thanks."

She really wanted to talk to him more. If given the chance, she also would've ranted about the latest book she read.

Daniel fled before she could have the chance to do so.

It was fine. After all, he might be busy. Everyone probably likes him enough, that's why he's not around as much anymore.

(Y/N) also kind of wishes she finds her own friends to hang out with.

The next day, he approaches her again. He asked for the same thing.

He did it again the next day.

And the other.

"I thought you're going to pay me back," she asked in confusion the next time he approaches her.