. xxiv

"Is there any particular place you'd like to go to?"

"Well, no. Not really..."

The two of them just wandered around aimlessly. After all, (Y/N) did not plan where she going when she left the house.

She also did not expect to run into this guy, but she supposes life could surprise her sometimes.

It's been half an hour since they decided to go together. And there was still no progress.

However, because this was Samuel Seo's suggestion, not once did she feel awkward about the situation. It wasn't her problem.

Later, they stopped somewhere less crowded.

"Conveniently, there seems to be a food truck over there," he muses, pointing out to her the ice cream truck parked on the side street. "Would you like to get one?"

"Will you pay for me?" she testily asks.

If he can buy clothes for a stranger, surely, an ice cream wouldn't be much?

"Sure."

And that was how the two of them ended up waiting for their turn to buy ice cream. Interestingly enough, there seem to be more kids than anyone of the same age as them.

"I'll have a (favorite flavor) ice cream."

As the ice cream was being worked on, she raises an eyebrow at Samuel next to her. He was only scrutinizing the available options and not buying anything.

"You?"

"I'm good," he says.

Alright then. It's not her business to insist.

When they got the ice cream and paid for it, the two returned once more to the area where they stood before spotting the truck.

It was quiet for a while. The other man seems to be thinking deeply about something.

(Y/N) continues to enjoy her ice cream while watching him from the corner of her eye.

Just as she was about to throw away the tissue, he spoke up again. He pushes up his glasses as he does so.

"Shall we get shoes to match the ones I bought you last time?"

The girl let out a short laugh. "What for?"

"To complete the set, of course."

"Interesting...is this going to be a common thing every time we meet?"

"That depends."

"Depends on what? If I drain your bank account?"

"What a silly question."

He gives her a close-eyed smile. She cannot interpret what that was supposed to be for.

(Y/N) narrowed her eyes suspiciously. "Just so you know, I'm not interested on joining a cult."

"Excuse me?"

"No? Well, I don't do those kinds of services. Especially not for adult strangers."

Samuel's eyes opened slightly to look at her. The smile he wore slowly melted back to a neutral look. "There seem to be a misunderstanding. First of all, I don't have such ulterior motives."

Isn't that what they all say? She wanted to say, but bit back her tongue at the last second.

"Sure."

"And second, I'm also still a teenager."

...Excuse her, but what?

The tissue slipped from her hand. "Really?"