. xlvi

Daniel burst back to the trophy room where she still was, clutching something in his hands and seemingly a bit sweaty.

"A photo..." he said, breathing a bit heavily. "I think...we should go to the nearest-nearest Eh Mart."

She glanced at the photo in his hands. Just as he said, there was definitely an Eh Mart on that photo. She doesn't know where he got it from, but it probably belonged to James Lee.

One last look at the only trophy in the room that doesn't belong to James Lee, she finally followed him out.

Unsurprisingly, whatever investigation that they'd done has ended not as fruitfully as her brother probably expected it would go. They ended up returning to the apartment, the last place where the "trail" ran cold.

On the way there, though...she was supposed to follow Daniel. However, by the time they've been in a certain proximity from the apartment, she felt the oddest feeling of being watched.

It was rather telling, with how the hair on her nape all stood.

(Y/N) thinks Daniel keeps walking without realizing she'd stopped. Her head turned to look. To find who it was.

She caught a glimpse of a shadow vanish from somewhere in the corner.

What-

Of course, she chased after it.

She thinks there's a problem with her when it comed to these kinds of things. She's always running headfirst into signs of danger, and she doesn't even hesitate.

When she turned a corner to where she last saw the shadow, it was just a dead end.

(Y/N) blinks in confusion. There was nothing there. Just a trashcan and the back of a building. It may be possible that whoever that was could've just used the can to climb up to the roofs, but she doesn't have anything else to support this thought.

The feeling of someone's eyes on her is also gone.

Eventually, she trudged back to the direction of the apartment. The incident left her the slightest bit more frustrated, especially after wasting money just looking for a person that seems to not exist anymore.

On her way, she feels something soft brush her ankles. The girl glances down immediately in alarm. And she untenses at the sight of a familiar black cat with a short tail.

"Oh, hi Tails," she says, her voice automatically going soft. She crouches down to scratch the back of his ears. Tails purred contentment as he sits down on the pavement.

He pawed after her hand as soon as she took it back.

"Sorry I had to leave suddenly," she sighs. "Daniel got this crazy idea and I wasn't able to bring you with me."

Tails' eyes bore into her, wide and unthreatened. He refused to stand up and follow her. In the end, she ended up scooping him up to her arms and bringing him with her to the apartment. What a baby.

She finds Daniel sitting on the floor of the apartment, not unlike Tails was doing on the pavement, looking a bit pale. He didn't even seem to register her entering the room.

Tails hopped out of her arms and landed gracefully on the floor with a meow. He took one look at Daniel and seemed to decide it wasn't his business. He turns and vanish somewhere to the other rooms.

That cat is so smart (Y/N) almost shed a tear.

She pays attention to the teen staring listlessly again. It seems she's been finding him like this a lot lately.

"What happened?" she asked curiously.

His eyes slowly rose up to meet hers. Definitely still looks pale. "He's here."