year 1 | chapter 5

a halloween troll

About two months had gone by, and we had all gotten closer over time as well. I loved my three best friends. One of them was certainly catching my eye more than the others though. I'd been doing well in my classes, and I had Hermione to thank for that, as she was always offering to help me study.

"One of a wizard's most rudimentary skills is levitation," Professor Flitwick lectured in Charms class, standing atop the pile of books on his desk while we listened. "Or the ability to make objects fly," Flitwick continued. "Do you all have your feathers?" He glanced around and saw we did. "Good, now don't forget the nice wrist movement we've been practicing, hmm? The swish and flick."

Ron leaned his head on his textbook in front of him, already tired out for the day. I sat next to him, trying to pay attention instead of staring at Ron. Something I accidentally found myself doing quite often.

"Everyone!" Flitwick commanded, causing everyone to pick up the wands and mimick the simple motion we'd learned. "Swish and flick! Good! And enunciate, wingardium leviosa! Off you go then."

Everyone began swishing their wands and muttering the incantation, no one having much success.

"Wingaridium leviosar," Ron said, tiredly, not bothering to pronounce it correctly. He flicked his wand around quickly, not even close to the movement we were taught. I smiled and shook my head at him, trying not to laugh.

"No, stop, stop, stop!" Hermione said, putting her hand out to stop him. "You're going to take someone's eye out." Ron gave her a look and dropped his wand. "Besides you're saying it wrong. It's levi-Osa, not levio-sAr!"

"You do it, then if you're so clever! Go on. Go on," Ron encouraged.

"Wingardium leviosa!" Hermione said, swishing her wand perfectly. Her feather began to float in front of her and my eyes widened along with Ron's.

"Oh, well done!" Flitwick called out as her feather floated higher and higher. "See here, everyone! Miss Granger's done it! Splendid!"

Hermione gave Ron an I-told-you-so look and Ron huffed, leaning his head back in his arms atop his textbook.

"Wingard leviosa!" Seamus tried again, causing the feather to explode in his face. All eyes quickly turned to him. How did he even manage that?

The class went on, and eventually, I was able to cast the spell and my feather floated around the room gracefully. I smiled widely, realizing this was the first real magic I'd done.

"Good job, Harper!" Harry congratulated me. I smiled widely.

After class, we walked through the courtyard, glad to be done with classes for the day.

"Did you hear Hermione in class today?" Ron said to me incredulously.

"What do you mean?" I asked curiously with my eyebrows furrowed.

"It's levi-Osa, not levio-sAr," Ron mocked Hermione. "She's a nightmare honestly," Ron shook his head. "No wonder she hasn't got any friends."

"I'm her friend," I quickly corrected, giving him a nasty glare. Just then Hermione stormed past, and we could hear her sniffles.

"I think she heard you," Harry muttered.

"I didn't realize you were so cruel, Ron," I said angrily before following after Hermione. The way I had looked at him made him regret saying anything.

"I'm so sorry, Hermione," I said, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"No, he's right," she cried, "I don't have any friends. I'm—"