year 3 | chapter 5

he was their friend

It was a beautiful snowy day, and the day of another Hogsmeade trip. Harry and I had decided that we were going to go to Hogsmeade and this whole parental permission shit was rubbish. We walked slowly under his invisibility cloak, following everyone in the courtyard.

Fred and George suddenly stopped and stared at our footprints. The twins quickly grabbed onto us and walked away, pulling us in the opposite direction.

"Guys, let us go!" Harry shouted at them.

"Oh clever, Harry and Harper," Fred said.

"But not clever enough," George added.

"Besides, we've got a better way," Fred chimed in.

"Guys, come on!" I said as we tried to resist. "We're trying to get to Hogsmeade!"

"We know," they said at the same time.

"Don't worry. We'll get you there," George said.

"We'll show you a quicker way," Fred added.

"If you pipe down," George finished.

"Ow!" Harry cried out.

"Aw, bless him," Fred said.

"Let us go," Harry tried again as they dragged him into a staircase tower. "Come on, guys. Don't..."

"Now, Harry and Harper," George said.

"Come and join the big boys," they said in unison, ripping the cloak off of us. We stared at them angrily, and I crossed my arms.

"What are you doing?" we asked, aggressively. Fred handed Harry a folded-up piece of paper.

"Shh!" George said, glancing to make sure no one was around. The twins both had mischievous expressions on their faces with slight smirks.

"What's this rubbish?" Harry asked.

"What's this rubbish, he says," Fred laughed. "That there is the secret to our success."

"It's a wrench giving it to you, believe me," George said.

"But, we've decided, your needs are greater than ours. George if you will," Fred motioned towards George and then the paper.

George pulled out his wand before saying "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." He said it and pointed his wand at the paper, causing the ink on it to be revealed.

"Messieurs Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot, & Prongs are proud to present The Marauder's Map," Harry and I read aloud.

"We owe them so much," George stated as Harry unfolded the paper and I examined it.

"Hang on. This is Hogwarts," Harry observed. "And that...no. Is that really..."

"Dumbledore," Fred confirmed.

"In his study," George said.

"Pacing," Fred continued.

"Does that a lot," George added.

"So you mean, this map shows..." Harry started.

"Everyone," George finished.

"Everyone?" I asked.

"Everyone," George repeated.

"Where they are," Fred continued.

"What they're doing," George added.

"Every minute," Fred said.

"Of every day," George concluded.

"Brilliant!" Harry and I said together, looking between them excitedly.