year 4 | chapter 10

the third task

"Do you know what the final task is yet?" I asked Cedric. My legs were draped across his lap as we sat on a couch in the library together. He closed his textbook and turned to me.

"It's an enchanted maze," Cedric explained.

"That doesn't sound too bad," I said optimistically.

"I hope not," Cedric laughed, "but I doubt it."

"Harper, can I talk to you?" Hermione said suddenly appearing beside us. She looked nervous, fiddling with her hands as she tried not to make eye contact.

"Sure," I said, swinging my legs off Cedric's lap and standing up. I followed her into the hallway where she stopped and took a deep breath.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry. For everything. I'm supposed to be your best friend, yet I've been treating Harry like he didn't completely insult you, and berate you, and--"

"Hermione, it's fine," I cut her off.

"No, it's really not. I'm supposed to be on your side. It's just when Harry asked for my help, I didn't know how to say no. I mean, he could've died, so I helped, but that doesn't mean I'm not upset at him. Because I am. He was so incredibly rude and insensitive and honestly a total bastard!" she ranted.

"Hermione," I said, placing my hands on her shoulders. "I understand, and I forgive you."

"I love you, Harper," Hermione said, tears forming in her eyes. "I don't deserve you."

"I don't deserve you, Hermione," I replied, smiling slightly. We embraced each other tightly, and Hermione stopped talking to Harry after that. I missed having Ron and Harry in my life, but Cedric and Hermione were the best friends I could ask for.

The day of the final task arrived, and I spent the morning helping Cedric go over common spells he may need. Harry approached slowly and Cedric nodded at him before walking away. I looked between them with confusion before Harry stepped in front of me.

"What's this?" I asked rudely.

"I'm sorry," Cedric said weakly as he closed the door.

"Did you put him up to this?" I scoffed at Harry.

"I wanted to apologize," Harry said, acting sincerely for the first time in a while. He hadn't been this vulnerable with me for years.

"Really?" I asked in disbelief, crossing my arms across my chest.

"I am legitimately so sorry, Harper. I acted completely out of line. I said awful things that I hope you know I didn't mean at all. There's nothing I can say to make it better. Honestly, I was scared of losing Ron again. Those weeks without him last year were miserable. I was the one being selfish. I was jealous and I lashed out. I was a complete and total dick, and I don't deserve your forgiveness, but I'm going to work for it. Every day until I die if I have to."

I look at Harry with my eyebrows raised. We used to be close like this, but that had faded long ago.

"I love you, and I miss you," Harry admitted, dropping his head. "Take all the time you need to forgive me, I know I don't deserve it. I just had to let you know in case...In case I don't make it out today."