year 2 | chapter 1

weasley rescue

It worked in the beginning, threatening Dudley with magic, he was scared out of his mind. Harry and I even got our own room out of it. We still had to share, but we actually had our own beds, not just a single mattress, and a dresser. But after a while, Dudley was convinced we were never going to go through with it because we never did.

Harry and I looked through the picture book Hagrid gave us almost every single day. Turns out, it had lots of pictures in it, not just our parents, also our friends.

Hedwig sat in his cage, yet again begging to be let out.

"I can't let you out Hedwig," Harry sighed. "I'm not allowed to do magic outside of schools. Besides if Uncle Vernon—"

"Harry and Harper Potter!" Vernon shouted from downstairs.

"Now you've done it," Harry glared at Hedwig.

"You of all people should know how insane you get being locked in a tiny space for a long time," I told him, shaking my head. I gave Hedwig a pet on the head before following Harry downstairs.

"I'm warning you," Vernon said while tying Dudley's tie. "If you two can't control that bloody bird, it'll have to go."

"You can't—!" I started, but Harry interrupted in a much calmer manner.

"But she's bored," Harry tried to reason. "If we could only let her out for...an hour or two?"

"So you can send secret messages to your freaky little friends?" Vernon scoffed. "No sir."

"They're not—" I started, crossing my arms. Harry gave me a glare that shut me up. I sighed and let him speak. He was usually a lot more successful because he didn't yell as much.

"But we haven't had any messages. From any of our friends. Not one. All summer," Harry said sadly. He was right. No one had written to us.

"Who would want to be friend with you two?" Dudley asked, snottily. He walked between us, shoving both of our shoulders. I so wished I could hex him.

"I should think you two would be a little more grateful," Vernon squinted at us. "We've raised you two since you were babies, given you the food off our table, even let you have Dudley's second bedroom, purely out of the goodness of our hearts." I couldn't help but scoff at that, and Vernon shot me a glare.

"Not now, not until the Masons arrive," Petunia said, swatting Dudley's hand away from the cake she was making.

"Which should be any minute!" Vernon announced. "Now, let's go over our schedule again, shall we? Petunia, when the Masons arrive, you will be...?"

"In the lounge," Petunia answered, "waiting to welcome them graciously into our home."

"Good, and Dudley, you'll be..." Vernon continued.

"I'll be waiting to open the door," Dudley said, pretending to be posh.

"Excellent," Vernon replied. "And you two?" Vernon and his whole nasty family looked Harry and I up and down like scum while they waited for us to reply.

"We'll be in our bedroom, making no noise and pretending that we don't exist," Harry and I said at the same time with annoyed expressions.

"Too right, you will," Vernon responded. "With any luck, this could well be the day I make the biggest deal of my career, and you two will not mess it up." Harry and I didn't respond as we walked away, back into our bedroom.

We opened the door to see a creature wearing a pillowcase as an outfit giggling and jumping on Harry's bed.

"Harry Potter...such an honor it is!" it said, stopping to look at us. Our eyes widened at the creature suddenly in our bedroom.