year 4 | chapter 7

getting a date to the ball

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament since its inception," McGonagall explained to the Gryffindors as we gathered around, separated by girls and boys. "On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school, I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward. And I mean this literally, because the Yule Ball is, first and foremost, a dance."

All the girls began chattering and whispering excitedly as the boys groaned and grumbled. I got excited thinking about getting all dressed up and dancing the night away.

"Silence!" McGonagall quieted us. "The House of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizarding world for nearly 10 centuries. I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

"Now, to dance is to let the body breathe. Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers, longing to burst forth and take flight. Inside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr. Weasley?" McGonagall turned to him.

"Yes?" he said nervously.

"Will you join me, please?" she asked. Ron got up slowly, and McGonagall pulled him by his jumper. They made their way back to the center of the room.

"Now, place your right hand in my waist," McGonagall instructed.

"Where?" Ron asked, his voice full of bewilderment.

"My waist," she repeated calmly. Ron slowly did as asked, resulting in a wolf whistle from one of the boys. He let go and went to turn around when McGonagall grabbed his arm and put it back. "And extend your arm." Ron and her assumed a classic dance position and I could hear Fred and George snickering loudly.

Filch turned on a slow waltz song and McGonagall began counting the steps. "One, two, three, one, two, three," she said, leading Ron in a ballroom dance. Hermione and I turned to each other and covered our mouths with our hands to stop the laughs from being heard. Ron's expression made this all the better.

"Everybody come together," McGonagall said, causing all the girls to stand and walk forward. "Boys, on your feet." Not a single one stood. Neville glanced around nervously before standing up. Eventually, the other boys followed suit.

Ron came over to Hermione and I, and Harry soon did too.

"Someone take me out of my misery," Ron said glumly, causing me to laugh.

"Harper will!" Hermione said too enthusiastically as she shoved me into Ron. "Come on, Harry," she said, putting her arm on his shoulder and taking his hand.

"Hi," Ron said nervously as we stood awkwardly close together.

"Hi," I replied awkwardly.

"So...should we dance?" Ron asked, clearing his throat.

"Y-yeah, I think so," I said, cursing myself for stuttering. I tried to calm myself. You've hugged Ron multiple times. You've been friends for years.

Ron placed his hand on my waist and I placed mine on his shoulder. We clasped our hands together and began moving to the music. Ron did step on my feet a few times, but I thought it was quite funny.

"Sorry!" he said abruptly after stepping on my foot.

"It's okay," I laughed. "You just need more practice."