year 4 | chapter 4

the unforgivable curses

The next day I woke up bright and early to Hermione's alarm.

"Hermione, we don't have class for two hours," I groaned after glancing at the clock on my nightstand, covering my face with my pillow.

"I want to get a head start on reading the textbooks before classes begin," Hermione's explained, making her bed. She impressed me. I had no idea how she managed to get up so early or study almost all of the time, or most of all, enjoy it.

I sighed, turning over and going back to sleep.

"You're going to miss breakfast, Harper," Hermione scolded me after what felt like only a few seconds of sleep. I looked over at her and saw her dressed in her robes, about to leave the room for breakfast. It was 7:20.

I groaned, sitting up, throwing my legs off the side of the bed and rubbing my eyes tiredly. I slowly got ready, throwing on my robes, brushing my hair, and putting on a little makeup. Hermione waited impatiently by the door until I was ready 10 minutes later.

I followed her down to the Great Hall where lots of people were already eating. We sat down together across from Harry and Ron where our schedules where being passed out.

"DADA first with Moody," Harry observed.

"That'll be interesting," Ron scoffed.

We entered the defense against the dark arts classroom later. Moody stood at the front, one of each eye watching us come down the aisle. I much preferred Lupin's style of decoration. His desk had many jars containing all sorts of insects and I cringed. I took my seat next to Hermione in a desk next to Ron and Harry. 

"Alastor Moody," our new professor introduced himself, writing in the chalkboard, once everyone sat down, "Ex-Auror...Ministry malcontent...and your new defense against the dark arts teacher." He threw his piece of chalk aggressively away after finishing writing his name. "I am here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?"

Not a single soul dared to raise their hand. His eyes separately danced around the room.

"When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many Unforgivable Curses there are?" he asked us.

"Three, sir," Hermione answered from beside me.

"And they are so named?" Moody continued, scribbling intensely on the chalkboard.

"Because they are unforgivable," Hermione answered. "The use of any one of them will—"

"Will earn you a one-way ticket to Azkaban, correct," Moody finished. "Now, the ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against! You need to be prepared." He turned around to keep writing.

"You need to find another place to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk, Mr. Finnigan!" I had no idea how he noticed that, considering he was facing the other way. It wouldn't surprise me at this point if he had eyes in the back of his head. We all turned around to see Seamus guiltily moving his hand back.

"No way. The old codger can see out the back of his head," Seamus commented. This resulted in Moody instantly throwing his piece of chalk at Seamus. We all ducked as it went flying to the back of the room. "And hear across classrooms," Seamus added.

"So which curse shall we see first?" Moody said, storming to the middle of the classroom, stopping right in front of Ron's desk. "Weasley!"

"Yes?" Ron answered, his voice wavering.