year 5 | chapter 2

you're just as sane as i am

After dinner, the topic switched to Harry. "This is very, very peculiar," Arthur said. "It seems that your hearing at the Ministry is to be before the entire Wizenagamot."

"I don't understand," Harry replied. "What has the Ministry of Magic got against me?"

"Show him," Moody said from his position in the corner of the room. "He'll find out soon enough."

Harry was handed a newspaper from Kingsley with the headline, 'The Boy Who Lies?' I peered over at it in disbelief.

"He's been attacking Dumbledore as well," Sirius added. "Fudge is using all his power, including his influence at the Daily Prophet, to smear anyone who claims the Dark Lord has returned."

"Why?" I scoffed.

"This Minister thinks Dumbledore's after his job," Lupin explained.

"But that's insane--no one in their right mind could believe that Dumbledore--" Harry started.

"Exactly the point," Lupin replied. "Fudge isn't in his right mind. It's been twisted and warped by fear. Now fear makes people do terrible things. The last time Voldemort gained power, he almost destroyed everything we hold most dear." I didn't miss the look he gave to Sirius as he said that. "Now he has returned, and I'm afraid the Minster will do almost anything to avoid facing that terrifying truth."

"We think Voldemort wants to build up his army again," Sirius said. "14 years ago, he had huge numbers at his command, and not just witches and wizards, but all manner of dark creatures. He's been recruiting heavily, and we've been attempting to do the same. But gathering followers isn't the only thing he's interested in. We believe...Voldemort may be after something."

"Sirius," Moody warned.

"Something he didn't have last time," Sirius continued vaguely.

"You mean, like, a weapon?" Harry guessed.

"No, that's enough," Molly cut Sirius off before he could answer. "He's just a boy! You say much more and you may as well induct him into the Order straightaway."

"Good, I want to join," Harry said. "If Voldemort is raising an army, then I want to fight."

"Me, too," I added. Sirius clasped his hands together before leaning back triumphantly and looking up at Molly standing beside Harry.

"You two are practically my children, and as the mother figure in your life, I say no," Molly crossed her arms. "It's way too dangerous."

"Maybe if you add in-law, it'd be more appropriate," Fred joked, smirking at Harper. She felt herself flush, knowing where they were going with this.

"Why?" Arthur questioned, looking at me expectantly.

"I don't know what they're talking about," I lied.

"You obviously didn't get your lying skills from your father," Sirius leaned forward with a smile.

"Sirius doesn't know?" George feigned shock.

"Stop it," Ron said, smacking George beside him.

"You boys know too!" Molly realized, pointing at the twins.

"Know what? What's going on?" Remus asked, confused.

"You know?" Ginny asked her mother. "When did they tell you?"

"Those two didn't tell me anything, I caught them practically eating each other's faces in the hallway!" Molly answered, pointing between Ron and me.

"You two were eating each other's faces?" Sirius turned to the two of us with a fatherly look.