year 3 | chapter 4

sirius black in the castle

A few weeks had passed, and it was the weekend of the first Hogsmeade trip. Ron and I didn't talk about the almost kiss we had, and things went back to how they were before, with Ron and I being close friends.

"Now, remember," Professor McGonagall lectured, "these visits to Hogsmeade Village are a privilege. Should your behavior reflect poorly on the school in any way, that privilege shall not be extended again."

Harry and I went up to McGonagall. "No permission form signed, no visiting the village. That's the rule, Potters," she told us before walking away.

"All those with permission, follow me. Those without, stay put," Filch called out, walking away.

"But, Professor," Harry said as we stepped in front of her, "we thought if you signed it, then we could go!"

"I can't," she stated. "Only a parent or a guardian can sign. Since I am neither, it would be inappropriate. I'm sorry, Potters," she finished before walking away. Harry and I turned to Ron and Hermione who looked at us sadly.

"Forget about it, guys," Harry said. "See you later."

"Have fun," I told them, waving as we walked away.

"Stupid, Vernon. Stupid, Petunia," Harry grumbled, stomping about the castle.

"I told you we should've just forged the signatures, Harry," I told him.

"They'd know," Harry replied.

"You don't know that," I countered.

"We'll just have to try again next year," Harry said, and I groaned. "I'm going to talk to Professor Lupin about something," he stated before walking away. I just scoffed and returned to the dormitories with all the first and second years. I took the opportunity to read quietly.

"Honeydukes Sweet Shop is brilliant. But nothing beats Zonko's Joke Shop. We never did get a chance to go to The Shrieking Shack, though," Ron rambled to Harry and me when he returned. "You heard that it's the most—"

"The most haunted building in Britain," Harry and I finished at the same time. We were happy our friends had fun, we really were, but it didn't stop us from feeling jealous.

"What's going on?" Harry asked as we walked up the stairs and saw a crowd around the common room entrance.

"Neville's probably forgotten the password again," Ron suggested.

"Hey!" Neville responded from behind Ron.

"Oh, you're there," Ron said awkwardly before turning around.

"Uh, let me through, please," Percy said, shoving through a crowd of people down the stairs. "Excuse me! I'm Head Boy! Get back, all of you. No one is to enter this dormitory until it has been fully searched," Percy continued as he approached.

Many students stood there, staring warily at the painting. "The Fat Lady! She's gone!" Ginny told us.

"Serves her right," Ron muttered, "She was a terrible singer."

"Ron!" I scolded him, smacking him lightly.

"It's not funny, Ron," Hermione scolded.

"Keep calm everyone," Percy said. "Ravenclaws, go back to your common room." Even the paintings nearby were panicking. "All right, be quiet."

"Make way!" Filch shouted, shoving through the students with Dumbledore. "You heard! Move!"

"Mr. Filch," Dumbledore said, examining the painting, "Round up the ghosts. Tell them to search every painting in the castle to find the Fat Lady."