year 5 | chapter 7

the storm

Hagrid was right about the storm coming. That night, there was a mass escape from Azkaban. Plenty of Death Eaters escaped. Fudge, obviously, blamed it all on Sirius.

"Dumbledore warned Fudge this could happen," Hermione said angrily as we walked through the Great Hall.

"He's gonna get us all killed just because he can't face the truth," I muttered.

"Harry?" Seamus called out, stopping the four of us as he stood up. "I uh, I wanted to apologize. Now even me mum says The Prophet's version of things don't add up. So, what I'm really trying to say is that...I believe you."

"Thanks," Harry said with a small nod. The three of us continued walking and sat down for breakfast to eat. As things worsened, more and more people began doubting Fudge too.

As I was getting ready for bed one evening, Hermione asked, "Have you and Ron talked at all?"

"Yeah?" I replied as a question. We had just spoken to each other earlier that day.

"Like about what you guys are?" Hermione pushed.

"Uh, no," I shrugged.

"Right, because you both hate talking about your feelings," Hermione nodded to herself.

"Hey!" I scolded her, though she was absolutely correct.

"It's just...the night of the yule ball, you admitted to being infatuated with each other. It's been over a year and you don't even call him your boyfriend," Hermione said.

"I..." I trailed off. Had it really been that long? "We just had our first date."

"No, that's just the first time you actually called it a date," she corrected.

"What do you suggest I do?" I asked.

"Tell Ron you want to be exclusive," Hermione's said simply.

"I don't think he's snogging other girls, Hermione," I rolled my eyes.

Hermione shrugged. "I doubt it, but don't you want to be able to call him your boyfriend?"

"Obviously," I replied, blushing at the idea. Hermione raised her eyebrows at me expectantly. I dropped my book on my bed dramatically before walking out the door. Hermione had a triumphant grin on her face.

Ron was in the common room with Harry and Seamus, laughing about something.

"What's up?" I asked, sitting on the couch beside Ron.

"Hey, Harper," Ron grinned, wrapping his arm around me and pulling me closer to him.

"No PDA please," Seamus teased.

"Don't be jealous, Seamus," I rolled my eyes. "Hey, Ron." I turned to him. "What are we?"

"What are we?" Ron repeated.

"Yeah, what are we?" I emphasized.

"We're...two teenagers," Ron said nervously after a pause.

"No shit," I scoffed. "I mean what are we doing here?" I motioned between the two of us.

"I don't know?" Ron replied, still very confused.

"You don't know?" I repeated slowly, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Wrong answer," Seamus mumbled.

"No, I just—" Ron started, realizing I didn't like his answer.

"We've been at this for over a year and you don't know what you're doing?!" I interrupted, sitting up straight and glaring at him. Harry and Seamus exchanged a nervous look before getting up and leaving, deciding they didn't want to be part of whatever this was.