year 2 | chapter 4

the chamber of secrets has been opened

Ron and I had been slightly awkward around each other since that night, but luckily Harry and Hermione hadn't noticed. We didn't talk as often and we certainly didn't touch each other.

However, the day came when Ron and I had detention together, and Harry had it separately for some reason. McGonagall assigned us to organize her bookshelf by alphabet and author without using magic. We sat in silence, sliding books around on the floor before placing them back on the shelves.

"This is boring," Ron finally said, breaking the silence.

"Dreadful," I agreed, placing another book on the shelf.

"I know!" Ron said. "Let's make this more exciting."

"How?" I asked, intrigued.

"Whichever one of us can sort their half of the shelf faster..." he stopped, placing his hand on his chin in thought, "gets their homework done by the loser for a week!" he finished excitedly, his eyes sparkling at the idea.

"You're so on," I said, giving him a playful scowl. We both immediately began grabbing books and throwing them around, rearranging and shoving them back onto the shelves.

I was doing well until I heard Ron say, "Immobulus!" I looked over at him, surprised until I wasn't able to move anymore. It was a terrifying feeling really, as I was trapped in a body I couldn't move.

"Blimey, I didn't think that would work!" Ron said excitedly, watching how I was frozen in place. He began quickly sorting the books and putting them back and I could do nothing but watch.

"This is boring, too," Ron sighed after a few minutes, swishing his wand and releasing me.

"Ronald!" I shouted, storming up to him.  "Did you really just hex me?"

"I wanted to win!" Ron said, exasperated but backing away with his hands up as I angrily glared at him.

"Ronald Weasley, if you ever hex me again, I will make you regret it," I threatened, pulling my wand out and aiming it at him.

He gulped nervously as his eyes widened. "Yes, Harper. I promise not to hex you again," he said nervously.

"You better not," I lowered my wand. "Now, because you cheated, I think I automatically win, so—"

"No!" Ron protested. "That's not how this works. The shelves aren't even sorted yet!" I looked over at the barely sorted bookshelf.

"Okay, we'll race to finish...starting now!" I said, running over to the bookstore

"Hey!" Ron protested before running over and joining me. I have never sorted books so fast in my life.

"Finished!" I said happily, grinning as I turned around. Except when I turned around, I found Ron sitting on a desk with a smug look on his face. I turned to his half of the shelf to see it was already finished. "How...? When did you...?" I trailed off in disbelief.

"Pleasure doing business with you," Ron smirked.

"No way, you must've cheated again!" I protested.

"No Harper, just admit I am better at this than you," Ron joked, pushing himself off the desk and walking over to me.

"Never," I said, crossing my arms. He just looked at me with his gorgeous eyes and his eyebrows raised and a small smirk on his face, waiting for me to say something.

"Do I really have to—?" I started, hoping to get out of doing double the homework for a week.

"Yes, Harper. A deal's a deal," he smiled cheekily.  "Now, let's go get dinner, I'm starving."