year 1 | chapter 2

the boy who lived and the girl no one knows about

Harry and I followed Hagrid down the streets of London.

"All students must be equipped with: one standard size 2 pewter cauldron, and may bring, if they desire, either an owl, a cat, or a toad," Harry read of the supply list included with our letters.

"Where are we meant to get all that?" I asked confused.

"Can we find all this in London?" Harry asked, also confused.

"If you know where to go," Hagrid answered. He led us inside a rundown-looking building with a sign calling it The Leaky Cauldron. It was quite dim inside with only a few candles lighting the place in addition to the natural light from outside. People gathered around tables and a bar, talking and laughing.

Hagrid guided us forward through the place as we looked around skeptically.

"Ah, Hagrid!" the bartender said, "The usual I presume?"

"No, thanks, Tom," Hagrid answered, "I'm on official Hogwarts business." He motioned to the two of us in front of him. "Just helping young Harry and Harper here by their school supplies."

"Bless my soul," the barman answered in shock, "It's Harry Potter." Once he said that practically everyone in the room stopped talking and looked over at us. How did they know who he was?

"Welcome back, Mr. Potter," a random man said, quickly shaking his hand.

"Doris Crockford, Mr. Potter. I can't believe I'm meeting you at last," another lady said.

"Harry P-Potter," another man said, "C-can't tell you how p-pleased I am to meet you."

"Hello, Professor," Hagrid greeted him, "I didn't see you there. This is Professor Quirrell. He'll be your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts."

"Oh, nice to meet you," Harry said, reaching his hand out for him to shake.

"F-fearfully fascinating subject," Quirrell said, pulling his hands away. "N-not that you need it, eh, Potter?"

"Yes, well, we must be going now. Lots to buy," Hagrid said.

"Goodbye," Harry said as we walked away.

"See, Harry? You're famous," Hagrid said as he opened the back door, leading us to a brick wall.

"But why am I famous, Hagrid?" Harry asked. "All those people back there, how is it they know who I am?"

"I'm not sure I'm exactly the right person to tell you that, Harry," Hagrid said before tapping on bricks with his umbrella. Harry and I shared a confused look at each other. How is it everyone knew Harry, but no one knew me?

The bricks began to move, reorganizing and constructing themself into an arch. Harry and I watched in amazement as a street appeared behind it, lined with shops and people milling about.

"Welcome, Harry and Harper, to Diagon Alley," Hagrid said, motioning in front of us. Harry and I stepped forward and began taking in the magic place.

"There's where you get your quills and your ink," Hagrid said, pointing out a store, "And over there, all your bits and bobs for doing your witchcraft and wizardry." He pointed at another place. Harry and I exchanged an equally astonished looked before looking around all everything again. It was amazing.

"But Hagrid, how are we to pay for all this?" Harry asked. "We haven't any money."

"Well, there's your money," Hagrid said, pointing at the elegant white building in front of us, "Gringotts—The Wizard Bank. Ain't no safer place. Not one. Except perhaps Hogwarts."