year 5 | chapter 4

the high inquisitor of hogwarts

After that night, Harry continued distancing himself from us. He spent more time alone and didn't talk much to anyone. He was acting very odd and more closed off. None of us knew what to do about it.

I tried not to think about it as the day of Ron and I's first date arrived. For some reason, I felt incredibly nervous.

"Relax," Hermione told me, pinning my hair up. "It's going to be great."

"Ron's head over heels for you, Harper," Ginny added, brushing makeup on my face. "You could show up in a trash bag and he'd still want you."

"Right, but this is our first date, and I don't want to mess it up," I vented.

"You're not going to," Hermione assured me. "You have been friends for years. Almost practically dating for the last few months anyway." I rolled my eyes at her comment.

"Hey, you're going to make me mess up," Ginny scolded. I sighed, closing my eyes and sitting still.

"Finished," Hermione said gleefully.

"Open!" Ginny said. I opened my eyes to reveal the two standing in front of me giddily holding up a mirror. My hair was styled beautifully and my makeup was incredible. It was elegant but nothing too fancy.

"Wow," I said, taking in my appearance. I stood up and went to the full-length mirror, seeing it with my outfit. "You sure this is good enough?" I asked, turning to face the two behind me and pointing at my outfit.

"Harper, you look beautiful," Hermione said, and Ginny nodded.

"Okay," I sighed, taking a deep breath before grabbing my things and heading out the door.

"Have fun!" Hermione called.

"Not too much fun!" Ginny added with a laugh. I flipped them off before closing the door and walking into the common room.

I saw Ron standing there, and the second I saw him, my nerves washed away. He heard my footsteps and turned to face me, a smile making its way onto his face.

"You look beautiful, Harper," he complimented, looking me up and down.

"You look cute," I told him, taking in his outfit and hair. It looked like he actually tried to style it, and he was wearing one of his favorite shirts.

"Don't call me cute," Ron grimaced.

"But you are!" I rebutted.

"Shut up," Ron sighed, grabbing my hand and pulling me with him. I laughed, interlacing our fingers as we walked. We reached the astronomy tower and I couldn't help but gasp at the setup.

It was a simple picnic blanket filled with pillows and blankets and a basket of all of my favorite foods.

"Ron," I gushed, impressed as I looked around.

"Look!" he said, walking forward and pointing at the candles. "I added candles! That makes it romantic!" he smiled. I laughed at his cute demeanor before walking up and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"I love it," I told him, sitting down on a pillow. He sat down on one opposite me.

"I got the house elves to make all your favorites, and they made extra because they like you so much," Ron said, pulling food out of the basket.

"This is incredible," I told him honestly.

"I'm glad you like it," Ron said sheepishly. "You deserve the best."