year 4 | chapter 9

the second task

"Where have you been?!" Hermione shouted as I entered our room.

"Shh!" I scolded her, looking around at our sleeping roommates. Luckily, they didn't wake up.

"I saw you and Ron fighting and then going back into the Ball together," Hermione said, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Yeah," I said dreamily, flopping onto my bed. "We kissed."

"You kissed?!" Hermione shrieked.

"Shh!" I scolded her again. "Yes, we kissed, and it was magical."

"Tell me everything!" Hermione said, moving out of her covers to sit on my bed. So, I did. I told her about his apology and dancing together and the kiss and him asking me out and our cake fight in the kitchens, and our many other kisses. Hermione was shocked but incredibly happy for me as she bounced up and down, squealing.

"Shh!" I laughed, wishing I could stop smiling.

"You two are going to be the it couple at Hogwarts!" she ignored my request for silence.

"Do you think it's a good idea?" I suddenly questioned, sitting up with a worried expression.

"Yes," Hermione replied instantly. "You two have always been in love! Now you just get to show it." Hermione smiled reassuringly and I smiled back.

"Yeah," I nodded along. "But what if something goes wrong or what if I mess it up or Ron does something stupid or--"

"First of all, Ron is going to do something stupid," Hermione joked. "But if something does happen, you two will work through it together because that's what soulmates do."

"Soulmates?" I repeated doubtfully.

"Soulmates," Hermione smiled with a nod. I rolled my eyes before pulling her into a hug.

I changed out of my dress, took out my hair and makeup, and headed to bed. The next few days were quite busy with Christmas, people going home to celebrate, and exchanging gifts and all. The Weasleys and Hermione all left, leaving Harry and me to celebrate at Hogwarts together with a few others. The feast was delicious as always, but it would've been much better if a certain person was there. I hadn't told Harry about it yet, but I was certain Hermione had already told Ginny.

By the time Ron had finally returned, I had missed him a lot.

"Ron!" I greeted him, standing up and pulling him into a hug as he entered the common room with his siblings. Hermione and Harry stood up, ready to greet them too as Hermione had come back earlier in the day.

"Hey, Harper," Ron greeted back, wrapping his arms around me. Without thinking, I pulled away from the hug and kissed him. He instantly kissed me back, resulting in some hollering and whistling from everyone in the room, mostly Fred and George.

"How many times do we have to be right before you'll just listen to us?" Fred teased Ron.

"Shove off," Ron scoffed.

"What was that?" Harry asked, stepping beside us.

"That was called a kiss, Harry," George told him like he was a child.