year 4 | chapter 6

the first task and the confession

The day arrived for the first task, and Harry told me he had prepared a strategy with Moody and was ready. I hadn't spoken to Ron in a while, but I spoke to Cedric in the halls or during classes whenever I saw him. I was insanely worried for both Harry and Cedric.

"Bets! Place your bets!" Fred called out as he and George walked around the stands in the stadium.

"Bets taken! Bets taken here!" George shouted.

"Step up folks! Who fancies a flutter in today's bloodbath?" Fred continued.

"Can you not call it a bloodbath, Fred?" I deadpanned. He just winked at me before walking away. I rolled my eyes.

"Smart money's on Krum to survive! Any bets?" George went on.

"Come on, let's go see Harry," I turned to Hermione next to me.

"Are we allowed to?" she whispered back nervously.

"I don't care, but he could be dead in an hour and I'll be damned if I don't get to say goodbye," I said. Hermione seemed to agree, nodding and standing up.

We made our way over to the tent before whispering beside it. "Psst! Psst!" Hermione whispered loudly.

"Harry? Is that you?" I whispered.

"Yeah," he replied.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione asked. "The key is to concentrate. After that, you just have to—"

"Battle a dragon," Harry finished. I let out a sob before pushing the curtain away and stepping into the tent and wrapping my arms around him. He hugged me back tightly.

"I'll be alright Harper. They've got dragon trainers out there," Harry tried to reassure me. I nodded and pulled away, and Hermione gave him a tight hug as well.

"Cedric," I turned to him, placing my hands on his forearms nervously. "How are you doing?"

Cedric seemed shocked at the action but held back onto my forearms, pleased. "I'm feeling okay," he replied, looking at me intently.

I pulled him into a tight hug and he hugged me back, resting his chin on my head which made my heart flutter.

"Young love," Skeeter said as the flash of a camera went off. "Oh, how...stirring. If everything goes, unfortunately, today, you four may even make the front page."

"You have no business here. This tent is for champions...and friends," Krum interrupted.

"No matter," she replied, walking out. "We've got what we wanted."

"Good day, champions," Dumbledore said, walking to the tent, followed by the other headmasters, Filch, and Crouch. "Now, you've waited, you've wondered, and at last, the moment has arrived. A moment only the four of you can fully appreciate." He turned to see Hermione and me standing there.

"What are you two doing here, Miss Granger and Miss Potter?" he asked.

"Oh...um," Hermione replied nervously.

"We'll just go," I said, grabbing her hand and walking back to the stands with her.

"Where were you two?" Ron asked as we sat down beside him.

"We—" Hermione started to answer.

"Nowhere," I interrupted her. A cannon went off before Ron could ask further questions, and the crown began chanting for the first champion. The three went, narrowly escaping their dragons and capturing their eggs.