year 3 | chapter 8

scabbers the rat

"Expelliarmus!" Snape shouted, rushing into the room and disarming Sirius. Everyone gasped.

"Vengeance is sweet," Snape sneered. "How I hoped I'd be the one to catch you."

"Severus—" Lupin tried to explain.

"I told Dumbledore you were helping an old friend into the castle," Snape interrupted, "and now, here's the proof."

"Brilliant Snape," Sirius said, walking toward him, "Once again you put your keen and penetrating mind to the task, and, as usual, come to the wrong conclusion. Now, if you'll excuse us, Remus and I have some unfinished business to attend to."

"Give me a reason," Snape said, holding his wand up to Sirius's throat. "I beg you."

"Severus, don't be a fool," Lupin tried to calm him down.

"He can't help it, it's habit by now," Sirius joked, glaring into Snape's piercing eyes.

"Sirius, be quiet!" Lupin shushed him.

"Oh, quiet yourself, Remus!" Sirius replied.

"Oh listen to you two, quarreling like an old married couple," Snape scoffed.

"Why don't you run along and play with your chemistry set?" Sirius quipped.

"I could do it, you know?" Snape said, digging the wand further into his neck. "But why deny the dementors? They're so longing to see you. Do I detect a flicker of fear? Oh yes, a dementors kiss. One can only imagine what that must be like to endure. It's said to be nearly unbearable to witness, but I'll do my best."

"Severus, please," Lupin tried to reason.

"After you!" Snape said, pointing towards the door.

"Expelliarmus!" Harry shouted, sending Snape flying backward into the bed behind him.

"Harry!" I said worriedly, grabbing his hand to pull him back.

"What did you just do?!" Ron asked, looking at him with wide eyes.

"You attacked a teacher!" Hermione squealed.

"Tell me about Peter Pettigrew!" Harry shouted, stepping forward, pulling out his wand as well.

"He was at school with us. We thought he was our friend," Lupin explained.

"No, Pettigrew's dead," I argued, standing up next to Harry. Ron grabbed my hand, nervously pulling me back, but I gave him a reassuring look and he let go.

"You killed him!" Harry said, moving his wand to point at Sirius.

"No, he didn't!" Lupin said, stepping in between Harry and me, and Sirius. "I thought so, too, until you mentioned seeing Pettigrew on the Map."

"The Map was lying, then" Harry retorted.

"The Map never lies," Sirius said. "Pettigrew's alive! And he's right there!" He pointed directly at Ron.

"Me? He's mental!" Ron squeaked out.

"Not you!" Sirius scoffed, "Your rat!"

"Scabbers has been in my family for..." Ron defended.

"12 years!" Sirius finished, "A curiously long life for a common garden rat! He's missing a toe, isn't he?"

"So what?!" Ron squeaked out.

"All they could find of Pettigrew was his..." Harry realized.

"Finger!" Sirius finished, "The dirty coward cut it off so that everyone would think he was dead! And then he transformed into a rat!