year 5 | chapter 1

the order of the phoenix

Harry and I sat in a park, lazily swinging on the swings, thinking about how our lives are in imminent danger now that Voldemort was out there. Neither of us could wait to go back home soon. There was definitely a certain person I missed loads too. That same person who absolutely sucked at writing back.

We looked up when we heard laughing to see Dudley standing there with his four friends. In the months we'd been gone, Dudley had decided to hit puberty, and he now towered over both Harry and me. He also somehow got the idea that he was cool.

"Hey, Big D," Harry greeted.

"Dude, you didn't tell me your cousin was hot," one of the boys commented.

"Shut up, she's a bitch," Dudley shushed him. I rolled my eyes.

"Beat up another ten-year-old?" I asked him.

"This one deserved it," Dudley replied menacingly.

"Yeah," another boy agreed.

"Five against one--very brave," Harry mocked him.

"Well, you're one to talk," Dudley replied. "Moaning in your sleep every night. At least I'm not afraid of my pillow." All the boys laughed loudly at his pathetic joke. I'd heard it too. Harry had nightmares about the night Voldemort returned and Cedric died. Obviously, because it was a traumatic event, and now Dudley was taking the piss.

"Do you think she moans too?" the first boy asked.

"Disgusting," I scoffed with an eye roll.

"Don't kill Cedric!" Dudley mocked Harry, ignoring his friend. "Who's Cedric, your boyfriend?" This caused all the boys to laugh again.

"Shut up," Harry replied calmly as I took a deep breath.

"He's going to kill me, Mum!" Dudley continued mocking. "Where is your mum? Where is your mum, Potters? She dead?" The others laughed as Harry's jaw tightened.

"Is she dead?" he asked again in amusement.

"That's it!" I shouted, standing up. I stormed up to him, holding my wand under his chin. The boys peeked curiously, before busting out in laughter, likely assuming it was a stick I was holding. Harry quickly got up and rushed over to me.

I breathed deeply while Dudley stayed silent, staring at my wand at his throat.

Suddenly, the air got really cold, and the wind began wooshing. I knew the feeling all too well. Harry recognized it too, both of us immediately looking into the sky. The wind picked up and the other guys began encouraging Dudley to go home.

"What are you doing?" Dudley asked me intensely, thinking I was the cause.

"I'm not doing anything," I replied, looking around in the sky.

"We're getting out of here, Dudley!" one of the boys yelled as the four of them took off running away.

Harry, Dudley, and I stood staring at the sky for a few moments as the wind whipped and thunder rumbled before deciding to run. The three of us took off down the path on the field as it began pouring down on us.

We reached a tunnel underpass on a sidewalk, pausing to catch our breath and get out of the rain.

"Harry...you don't think..." I muttered quietly as the lights flickered. He didn't answer as we stared straight ahead. I could see my breath forming in my face from the cold.

I turned at a noise and suddenly I was pinned against the wall in a chokehold by a dementor, his face only inches from mine.

"Dudley, run!" Harry called out to him. Dudley, clearly terrified, started running but ended up slipping due to the water, landing roughly on his back. A second dementor appeared, feeding on Dudley as I struggled.