year 1 | chapter 8

saving the stone

After spending the next month slightly paranoid about Voldemort returning to kill us all, it was the end of my first year at Hogwarts. It was quickly becoming a second home to me, and I was sad to leave Ron and Hermione. And I was dreading returning to being the Dursley's kitchen slave. End-of-year exams were today and luckily, Hermione had helped all of us study.

"I'd always heard Hogwarts end-of-year exams were frightful. But I found that rather enjoyable," Hermione said as we exited the classroom after last exam finished.

"Enjoyable?" I repeated. "I will never understand you, Hermione," I joked.

"Speak for yourself," Ron scoffed.

"All right there, Harry?" I asked as he held his scar again.

"My scar. It keeps burning," Harry said as he winced in pain.

"It's happened before," Hermione stated.

"Not like this," Harry replied.

"What do you think it means?" I asked him.

"I think it's a warning," Harry replied, "It means danger's coming." I contemplated the idea, and it seemed to make sense. But how would a scar know danger's coming?

"Of course!" Harry said, taking off towards Hagrid's hut as he sat outside playing his flute.

"What?" I said, quickly following after him. The three of us struggled to keep up with Harry's fast pace.

"Don't you think it's a bit odd that what Hagrid wants more than anything is a dragon, and a stranger turns up who just happens to have one? I mean, how many people wander around with dragon eggs in their pocket? Why didn't I see it before?" Harry explained and then took off in a run, the three of us trailing after him.

"Hagrid, who gave you the dragon egg?" Harry asked as we approached him. "What did he look like?"

"I don't know. I never saw his face," Hagrid responded. "He kept his hood up."

"This stranger, though, you and he must've talked," Harry rushed.

"Well, he wanted to know what sort of creatures I looked after. I told him, I said 'After Fluffy, a dragon's gonna be no problem,'" Hagrid replied.

"Did he seem interested in Fluffy?" Harry continued.

"Well, of course he was interested in Fluffy," Hagrid responded. "How often do you come across a three-headed dog, even if you're in the trade? But I told him, I said—I said, 'The trick with any beast is to know how to calm him.' Take Fluffy for example, just play him a bit of music, and he falls straight asleep."

The four of us looked at each other knowingly. "I shouldn't have told you that," Hagrid said, furrowing his eyebrows. We took off running back to the castle. "Where are you going? Wait!"

We ignored Hagrid's calls and ran straight to McGonagall's classroom. "We have to see Professor Dumbledore, immediately!" Harry said, stopping in front of her desk.

"I'm afraid Professor Dumbledore is not here. He received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and left immediately for London," she replied, looking around at our shocked and out-of-breath expressions. 

"He's gone? Now? But this is important!" Harry countered. "This is about the sorcerer's stone!"

"How do you know—" McGonagall began with a shocked expression.

"Someone's going to try and steal it!" Harry interrupted.

"I don't know how you four found out about the stone, but I assure you, it is perfectly well-protected," McGonagall responded sternly. "Now would you go back to your dormitories? Quietly."