year 3 | chapter 1

runaways

"Harry, what on earth are you doing?" I asked, opening my eyes after hearing her muttering under his sheet and seeing a bright light.

"Practicing," Harry said simply, popping his head out of the covers.

"Right now?" I asked.

"Yes, when else am I supposed to?" Harry asked.

"How about, not at midnight?" I suggested. We heard footsteps and instantly laid down and pretended to be asleep as Vernon entered our room again. I swear this man is just looking for a reason to punish us.

"Fine," Harry sighed, going back to bed. I turned over and went to sleep, dreaming of seeing our friends again. It'd been a long summer already at the Dursley's. Neither of us missed this place much at all.

The next day was a beautiful stormy day, our uncle's sister was visiting and they were having us clean the house extensively before she arrived.

"Don't think she's gonna care if the floorboards are a wee bit dusty," I muttered to Harry as we sat on our knees, scrubbing them. Harry just shook his head in agreement when the doorbell began ringing excessively.

"Harry! Harry!" Petunia called out, "Get the door!" Harry gave me a smirk and I rolled my eyes at him as he got up and opened the door and I continued scrubbing.

"Get up!" Petunia commanded me as I heard Marge and her wonderful dog enter. I stood up, gladly and watched the woman come in. I walked into the entrance hall door and leaned my shoulder against the door, watching Harry and Vernon.

"Uncle Vernon, we need you to sign these forms," Harry said, holding our Hogsmeade permissions slips. Third-year was the year we finally got to go on the Hogsmeade trips, and we'd heard all about how much fun they were.

"What is it?" he asked, taking off his jacket.

"Nothing, school stuff," Harry answered, trying to keep it simple.

"Later perhaps," Vernon said, "if you two behave." He gave us knowing looks. Harry and I looked at each other before rolling our eyes and going into the kitchen.

"I will if she does," I sneered at him quietly.

"Oh...you're both still here, are you?" she said disappointed.

"Yes," we replied at the same time with annoyance.

"Don't say 'yes' in that ungrateful way," she scolded us. "Damn good of my brother to keep you two. They'd've been straight into an orphanage if they'd been dumped on my doorstep, Vernon."

"Thank you, you're real sweet," I said snottily, and Vernon glared at me.

"Girl, I oughta—Is that my Dudders?!" Marge said, excitedly running over to Dudley. "Is that my little nephy-poo?!" She wrapped her arms around him and practically assaulted him with kisses.

"You know what?" I whispered to Harry. "Maybe it's better this way," and he laughed quietly.

"Take Marge's suitcase upstairs!" Vernon commanded us, and we both rolled our eyes before doing as we were told.

During dinner, Harry and I didn't get a seat at the table, as usual. We got to stand in the kitchen as they sat around the table, talking and laughing together. We got to serve their food and then clean up the dishes afterward as well.

Harry and I smirked as we watched Marge feed her dog out of her glass of Brandy and said a bunch of made-up words in a high-pitched voice. It was quite embarrassing for her really.