year 5 | chapter 5

dumbledore's army

"This is mad," Harry argued. "I mean, who'd want to be taught by me? I'm a nutter, remember?"

"Look on the bright side. You can't be any worse than old toad face," Ron said.

"Thanks, Ron," Harry replied sarcastically.

"I'm here for you, mate," Ron responded.

"Who's supposed to be meeting us, then?" Harry questioned.

"Just a couple of people," Hermione replied.

We walked inside the Hog's Head pub. It was tiny with a small bar, a few tables scattered around the room, and a giant hog's head on the wall. Could probably stand a good cleaning as well.

"Lovely spot," Ron commented.

"I thought it would be safer somewhere off the beaten track," Hermione replied. The four of us set up tables and anxiously waited for anyone's arrival. Fred, George, and Ginny arrived, as well as Luna, Neville, Cho, and many more from all houses except Slytherin.

"Um...hi," Hermione said shyly, standing up in front of everyone. There were more than just a couple of people. "So...you all know why we're here. We need a teacher. A proper teacher. One who's had real experience defending themselves against the Dark Arts."

"Why?" someone asked.

"Why?!" Ron scoffed. "Cause You-Know-Who's back, you tosspot."

"So he says," the boy replied, pointing to Harry.

"So Dumbledore says," Hermione added.

"So Dumbledore says because he says," he argued. "The point is where's the proof?"

"If you want to sit around and wait for Voldemort to murder everyone you love before you decide to learn to defend yourself, you won't live long enough to learn," I argued. 

"If Potter could tell us more about how Diggory got killed..." another boy suggested.

"I'm not gonna talk about Cedric, so if that's why you're here, you might as well clear out now," Harry said, standing up. "Let's go. They're all here because they think I'm some sort of freak," Harry whispered to us.

"Harry, wait. Is it true you can produce a Patronus charm?" Luna asked from the back of the room.

"Yes, I've seen it multiple times. It's powerful, too," I told them.

"Blimey, Harry. I didn't know you could do that," Dean commented.

"And he killed a Basilisk with the sword in Dumbledore's office," Neville added.

"It's true," Ginny backed him up.

"Third year, he fought off about one hundred dementors at once," Ron informed.

"And last year, he really did fight off You-Know-Who in the flesh," Hermione commented.

"Wait," Harry stopped her. "Look, it all sounds great when you say it like that, but the truth is most of that was just luck. I didn't know what I was doing half the time, I nearly always had help."

"He's just being modest," Hermione told everyone.

"No, Hermione, I'm not," Harry argued. "Facing this stuff in real life is not like school. In school, if you make a mistake, you can just try again tomorrow, but out there...when you're a second away from being murdered or watching a friend die right before your eyes...you don't know what that's like."

"You're right, Harry, we don't," Hermione agreed. "That's why we need your help. Because if we're going to have any chance of beating...Voldemort..."

"He's really back?" a young boy asked. Harry nodded solemnly. Everyone in the room looked around at each other, seemingly agreeing this was a good idea.