year 3 | chapter 9

mysterious thing, time

I woke up feeling exhausted and confused. I slowly opened my eyes and glanced around the room, trying to figure out where I was. The infirmary. At least I'm not dead. I saw Ron laying there with a cast on his foot.

"Harper!" Ron exclaimed, noticing me awake.

"Ron!" I said, getting up and making my way over to him. I cupped his face in my hands, searching for injuries. "Are you okay? How's your foot?"

"Painful. Incredibly painful," Ron said, looking down at it as I dropped my hands. "They almost had to chop it off."

"Chop it off?!" I repeated.

"It was brutal," Ron sighed.

"I'm really glad you're okay," I said quieter, sitting down on the bed beside him. I took his hand in mine and stroked his knuckles back and forth with my thumb.

"I'm really glad you're okay," Ron repeated back to me, placing his other hand on top of mine on top of his. "I was worried I'd lost you. I don't know what I would do without you, Harper" he admitted shyly.

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Ron," I told him.

"Listen, Harry, Harper, they've captured Sirius. Any minute now they're going to perform the kiss," Hermione told Harry as she shook him awake.

"What?!" I squealed, quickly getting up and heading over to her and Harry.

"You mean they're gonna kill him?!" Harry asked incredulously as he stood up too.

"No, it's worse. Much worse," Hermione explained. "They're going to suck out his soul."

"No, but he's innocent!" I countered.

"Headmaster you've got to stop them!" Hermione said as Dumbledore entered the room.

"They've got the wrong man!" I shout.

"It's true. Sirius is innocent!" Harry supported.

"It's Scabbers who did it!" Ron added.

"You have to believe us!" I begged the headmaster.

"I do, Miss Potter," Dumbledore said, placing his hand on my shoulder. "But I'm sorry to say that the word of four thirteen-year-old wizards will convince few others."

"A child's voice, however honest and true, is meaningless to those who've forgotten how to listen," Dumbledore said, patting Ron's injured foot, causing him to whimper. I scrunched up my eyebrows as I watched Dumbledore hurt him. Ron took a deep breath once he stopped, and I went back over to him, sitting on the edge of the bed and clutching his hand.

"Mysterious thing, time. Powerful. And when meddled with...dangerous," Dumbledore said, walking away. "Sirius Black is in the topmost cell of the Dark Tower. You know the laws, Miss Granger," Dumbledore spun around to her. "You must not be seen. And you would do well to return before this last chime. If not, the consequences are too ghastly to discuss. If you succeed tonight, more than one innocent life may be spared. Three turns should do it, I think." With a wink, he turned and left the room. "Oh, and by the way, when in doubt, I find retracing my steps to be a wise place to begin. Good luck," he said before closing the doors.

"What the bloody hell was that all about?" Ron asked, looking between all of us.

"Sorry, Ron, but seeing as you can't walk..." Hermione trailed off before pulling a necklace out of her jacket and wrapping it around her and Harry.