year 4 | chapter 5

divided

The next morning was brutal at breakfast. Harry and Ron refused to even look at each other as Hermione and I sat between them, trying to make conversation to no avail. Harry had to go off and do Champion things all day, so I tried to talk to Ron.

"Ron, you can't be mad at Harry forever," I sighed.

"I just can't believe him," Ron scoffed. "He's still lying about it."

"I don't think so," I said hesitantly.

"You believe him?" Ron said, looking over at me.

"Yes—" I started.

"I should've known you would take his side," Ron scoffed.

"I'm not on anyone's side, Ron," I rebutted.

"Clearly, that's why your trying to convince me to apologize to Harry," Ron said.

"Look, it's just that—" I tried to explain, but Ron wasn't having any of it.

"Just shut up, Harper," Ron said angrily. "You're just as pathetic as Harry." I gasped lightly, shocked before I glared at him and stormed out of the common room to our dorm.

"How did it go?" Hermione asked me as I walked in.

"He said I was pathetic," I told Hermione, sitting on her bed with her, picking at my fingers.

"He doesn't mean it," Hermione tried to cheer me up.

"He told me to shut up first to make sure I heard it," I scoffed.

"Harper—" Hermione tried.

"Just, drop it," I sighed, laying on my back. She reluctantly did and went back to reading.

"What all did you have to do?" I asked Harry as we sat together in the owlery later that day.

"First we had to take a bunch of pictures together and solo shots. It was miserable," Harry sighed.

"Oh no, people wanting your picture, how awful," I said sarcastically.

"I didn't ask for this. I didn't want this," Harry shook his head. "You know Rita Skeeter?"

"She writes for the Daily Prophet, right?"

Harry nodded. "I had to do an interview with her and it was complete rubbish."

"How so?"

"First of all, she kept insisting that I was 12 years old, so she could emphasize how everyone else is more emotionally mature than I am and are able to do spells I don't know exist," Harry scoffed.

"Well, they are more advanced than you, Harry," I said. "But I'm sure you'll be able to do it. I mean, how hard can the challenges be?"

"I have no idea. But then she asked if the trauma from my past that made me so keen to enter," Harry said incredulously. "I didn't enter my name!"

"Harry, I believe you," I told him, and I did. Harry and I have enough trauma for a lifetime between our parents being murdered, the Dursley's locking us in a cupboard for 11 years and coming face-to-face with Voldemort more than once.

"She doesn't. Then she asked how she thought my parents would feel about this if they were alive. Apparently, my attitude shows a pathological need for attention or a psychotic death wish," Harry scoffed.

"Well—" I started.

"Don't 'well' me, Harper. I don't want all this attention and I don't have a death wish. I didn't even put my name in there! The worst part is that Ron probably agrees with her!" Harry said, his voice getting louder.