year 2 | chapter 6

polyjuice potion

A month had passed, and it was almost time for holiday break. The Great Hall was decorated beautifully with Christmas trees and garland, and the ceiling looked like it was snowing. Cheerful music played in the halls. Usually I dreaded Christmastime. Although after how great of a Christmas Harry and I had last year, I was looking forward to it this year.

Since a month had passed, Hermione had also finished the Polyjuice potion. Ron, Harry, and I sat in the Great Hall eating desserts waiting for her.

"Everything's set," Hermione said, sitting down. "We just need a bit of who you're changing into."

"Crabbe and Goyle," Harry stated.

"We also need to make sure that the real Crabbe and Goyle can't burst in on us while we're interrogating Malfoy," Hermione continued.

"How do we do that?" Ron asked.

"I've got it all worked out," Hermione said. "I filled this with a simple sleeping draught. Simple, but powerful." She placed two cupcakes in front of us. "Now, once they're asleep, hide them in the broomstick cupboard, and pull out of their hairs, and put on their uniforms."

"Whose hair are you two ripping out then?" Ron asked, clearly displeased.

"We've already got ours," Hermione smiled as we pulled them out. "Millicent Bulstrode. Slytherin."

"Lilith Blake, Slytherin," I added. "She's Draco's friend. We plucked them off their robes when they weren't looking."

"I'm going to check on the Polyjuice potion," she said, standing up, "Make sure Crabbe and Goyle find these."

We took the cupcakes and hid in the hallway waiting for their return. Ron cleared his throat and pulled out his wand.

"Ron," I said, pushing his wand down.

"Maybe I should do it," Harry suggested on the other side of him.

"Yeah," Ron sighed, putting it away.

"Wingardium leviosa!" Harry called out, sending the cupcakes floating into the air as Crabbe and Goyle exited the Great Hall, arms already stuffed with cupcakes. For a second I didn't think they would even take another one, but they both did. In fact, they took a bite immediately. The three of us looked at each other, shocked how perfectly this was going.

They looked at each other suspiciously before falling asleep and falling to the ground.

"How thick could you get?" Ron scoffed. I lightly elbowed him.

"Come on, let's get them," Harry said. We ran over and grabbed them, dragging them into the broomstick closet nearby.

"Okay," Ron breathed and then bent down and ripped out some of Crabbe's hair.

"Not so aggressive, Ron!" I scolded him, but he just laughed. Harry grabbed a few strands of Goyle's hair before they began taking off their robes. I decided to be respectful of their privacy and waited outside the broom closet for this part. The boys came out in their Slytherin robes that were clearly too big for them and baggy in many places.

"Look at you two," I cooed. "So cute," I said, pinching Harry's cheek.

"Oh, shut up Harper," Harry laughed as we made our way to the bathroom.

"Here, Harper," Hermione said, handing me some Slytherin robes. I went into the bathroom stall to change quickly.

"We'll have exactly one hour before we change back into ourselves," Hermione explained pouring out the potion into four glasses. She handed one to each of us as I exited the stall.