year 1 | chapter 7

a dark detention

The break had ended, and classes were back in full swing. I sat with Ron and Harry in the library, surrounded by shelves upon shelves of books, going over some homework.

"I had you looking in the wrong section," Hermione stated, walking over to us, "How could I be so stupid?" She slammed the biggest book I've ever seen onto the table, causing all of us to jump. "I checked this out weeks ago for a bit of light reading," she sighed, sitting down beside me.

"This...is light?" Ron asked, staring at the huge book. Hermione glared at him while I covered my mouth to stifle my laugh. Ron smiled at me, loving the fact that he'd made me laugh without even trying. She skimmed through the pages.

"Here it is! 'Nicolas Flamel is the only known maker of the sorcerer's stone.'"

"The what?" the three of us said in unison.

"Honestly, don't you three read? " Hermione said looking between us, "'The Sorcerer's Stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers. It can transform any metal into pure gold and produces the elixir of life which will make the drinker immortal.'"

"Immortal," Ron repeated.

"It means you'll never die," Hermione explained.

"I know what it means!" Ron said, a little too loudly, and Harry shushed him. I just snickered again.

"'The only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr. Nicolas Flamel, the noted alchemist, who last year celebrated his 665th birthday.' That's what Fluffy's guarding on the third floor! That's what's under the trapdoor! The Sorcerer's Stone."

With the new piece of information revealed, the four of us ran to Hagrid's house for more details. It was dark out by now, but we didn't care. We approached Hagrid's hut and knocked loudly.

"Hagrid!" Harry started quickly.

"Oh, hello," Hagrid replied, "Sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today."

"We know about the sorcerer's stone!" the four of us all shouted, causing the door Hagrid was shutting in our faces to be promptly opened.

"Oh," was all Hagrid said before leading the group inside. It was a cozy little cottage with stone walls and a wooden roof. Candles lit up the place as well as a fire in the fireplace with lots of furniture scattered around.

"We think Snape's trying to steal it," Harry explained.

"Snape?" Hagrid asked, "Blimey, you're not still on about him, are you?"

"Hagrid, we know he's after the stone we just don't know why!" Harry countered. We all sat around him, and I took a seat next to Ron and Harry. Hagrid's dog seemed to be taking an interest in Ron and he backed away slowly as the dog got closer to his face, ending up bumping into me.

"Sorry," he muttered, but I just smiled at him and scooted over and motioned at the space beside me, offering Ron more room to sit further from the dog. He gratefully accepted my offer, and scooted over, leaving our thighs touching. I'd never sat so close to him before, and I could feel the butterflies in my stomach.

"Snape is one of the teachers protecting the stone!" Hagrid argued. "He's not about to steal it."

The four of us looked at each other curiously, unsure of what to think. Hagrid tried to usher us out of his home again, but we persisted.

"Wait, there are other things defending the stone, aren't there?" Hermione asked, "Spells, enchantments."

"That's right," Hagrid confirmed. "Waste of bloody time if ya ask me. Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy. Ain't a soul knows how except for me and Dumbledore. I shouldn't have told you that. I should not have told you that."