year 2 | chapter 7

harry the hero

I woke up suddenly, bolting upright, and looking around the room. Hermione was awake in the bed next to me.

"It's a basilisk!" I said and Hermione laughed.

"I know," she smiled.

"How'd you get in here?" I asked worried.

"I was Petrified as well," she shrugged.

"You've missed quite a lot, Miss Potter," Dumbledore said to me. I turned my head, having not previously noticed him there.

"While you were Petrified, Harry discovered the diary you had possessed. He was shown a vision of Tom Riddle, now better known as Voldemort, framing Hagrid and his talking pet spider Aragog, for killing a student to gain his trust. Harry and Ron went to speak to Hagrid and before he was taken to Azkaban as the main suspect for the current attacks, he told the two boys to follow the spiders."

"After narrowly escaping a giant swarm of spiders bigger than they were, they put the pieces together and figured out where the entrance to the chamber of secrets was, the bathroom Miss Myrtle inhabits. They went into the Chamber where Harry battled the basilisk bravely before ultimately killing it. He destroyed the diary where Voldemort put his soul to possess Ginny to open the Chamber in the first place. Harry saved Ginny and met back with Ron who was trapped behind some rocks, and they made it out safely."

"Wow," I said, absorbing all of the information.

"Quite an impressive feat," Dumbledore nodded. "You have quite the brother, Harper."

"He's always been the hero," I joked.

"Indeed," Dumbledore nodded. "Now, we've all got a grand feast to attend." He stood up and walked out of the room.

"Hermione! Harper! Welcome back!" Sir Nicolas greeted us as we entered the Great Hall.

"Thanks, sir Nicolas," we replied. It's good to be back. We looked over and Harry and Ron were grinning widely at us. We both ran towards them, and the two boys got out of their seats and came running towards us.

I ran up and, purely accidentally, almost tackled Ron to the ground as I threw my arms around his shoulders. He quickly put his arms around my back, hugging me back. It was the tightest hug I've ever had to be honest. We were gripping each other for dear life.

"Ahem," Harry cleared his throat, and the two of us stepped apart, but still grinned widely at each other. Harry came over and gave me a hug and I hugged him back tightly.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Harry said.

"Me too," I smiled back at him as I let go.

"Congratulations," Hermione, looking between the two boys. "I can't believe you solved it!"

"I'm so proud of you both!" I said, beaming at the two of them.

"Well, we had loads of help from you, Hermione," Harry said. "We couldn't have done it without you."

"Thanks," Hermione smiled as my face dropped. I suppose they could've done it without me. In fact, they did. They probably could've last year too. I wasn't much help.

McGonagall chimed her goblet with her knife, gathering everyone's attention. The four of us sat down at the Gryffindor table.

"Before we begin the feast," Dumbledore said, standing up, "let us have a round of applause for Professor Sprout, Madam Pomfrey, whose Mandrake juice has been so successfully administered to all who had been Petrified." Everyone began clapping as I thought back to the beginning of the year on the first day when Hermione mentioned Mandrakes could be brewed to do that.

"Also, in light of the recent events, as a school treat, all exams have been canceled," Dumbledore continued. Everyone began clapping and cheering loudly. That's good, considering I haven't been in classes for months.

"Oh, no," Hermione said sadly, and the three of us gave her a look. No way she could be sad about not having finals. But then again, it was Hermione.

The Great Hall doors opened and in stepped Hagrid. "Sorry I'm late," he said. "The owl that delivered my release papers got all lost and confused. Some ruddy bird called Errol."

I looked over at, Ron whose eyes widened, and smiled at him.

"And I'd just like to say that...if it hadn't been for you, Harry...and Ron...and Hermione, of course," Hagrid said. "I would...I'd still be you-know-where...so I'd just like to say thanks." That hurt. I know I wasn't able to help Hagrid, but I would've if I could've.

"It's not Hogwarts without you Hagrid," Harry said, standing up and giving Hagrid a hug. Dumbledore began clapping, and soon everyone else followed, cheering for Hagrid. People began swarming Hagrid lovingly. I clapped, happy he was not longer in Azkaban for something he didn't do. Hagrid had always been good to Harry and I.

I sat down, looking at my hands in my lap as everyone sat back down to eat.

"What's wrong?" Ron asked me from across the table with a drumstick in his mouth.

"Nothing," I shrugged him off and began eating. But really I was overthinking again. About how useless I seem to be in comparison to Harry. I mean, he's saved the school and the entire wizarding world from Voldemort twice now. And what have I done? Sat on the sidelines and watched. When I tried to help this time, I just ended up getting Petrified, becoming useless for almost the entire term. Even Hermione somehow helped them in her Petrified state.