year 5 | chapter 3

i must not tell lies

As Harry and I entered the common room after dinner, all of the chatter quickly died down. Everyone was looking at a copy of the latest Daily Prophet with the headline 'Plotter?' and a picture of Harry at his trial. We continued walking through as everyone stared at us.

"Dean, Seamus, good holiday?" Harry tried to make conversation.

"All right. Better than Seamus's, anyway," Dean answered.

"Me mum didn't want me to come back this year," Seamus said, setting the paper down and standing up.

"Why not?" Harry asked.

"Let me see...uh—Because of you. The Daily Prophet's been saying a lot of things about you, Potter, and about Dumbledore as well," Seamus answered, stepping forward to stand in front of us.

"What, and your mum believes them?" I questioned, crossing my arms.

"Well, nobody was there the night Cedric died," Seamus argued.

"Oh, well, I guess you should read the Prophet then, like your stupid mother. It'll tell you everything you need to know," Harry replied bitterly.

"Don't you dare talk about my mother like that," Seamus responded angrily.

"I'll have a go at anyone that calls me a liar," Harry argued back. The entire common room was watching the interaction now in an eerie silence.

"What's going on?" Ron asked, walking into the room quickly and noticing the tension.

"He's mad is what's going on," Seamus answered, pointing at Harry. "Do you believe all the rubbish he's come out with about You-Know-Who?"

"Yeah, I do," Ron replied sternly, his face looking angrier than I'd seen it in a while. I know it wasn't really the appropriate time, but seeing Ron get angry and defensive like that with his jaw clenched was incredibly hot.

"Does anyone else got a problem with Harry?" Ron asked, looking around the room. No one replied as Harry turned around and walked up the stairs.

Ron threw an angry glance around the room before following him. I copied his action before heading upstairs, too.

Harry went into his room, kicking his trunk under his bunk as Ron and I walked in.

"You alright?" Ron asked.

"Fine," Harry replied, unconvincingly as he tugged his tie off.

"Seamus was bang out of order," Ron added supportively. "But he'll come through, you'll see."

"I said I'm fine, Ron!" Harry yelled aggressively, suddenly turning around with clenched fists.

"Right..." Ron replied, a look of hurt flashing across his face. "I'll just leave you to your thoughts, then." Ron walked out of the room with his head hanging.

"Harry," I scoffed as I watched Ron leave. Harry took a deep breath before sitting on his bed, ignoring me. I scowled at him before turning on my heel and following after Ron.

"Hey," I said, placing my hand on his shoulder. He turned around and looked at me dejectedly. "He's mad at the situation and needs to cool off, but he shouldn't have yelled at you for being supportive."

"I'm fine," Ron shrugged it off. His expression told me he wasn't.

"Wanna go to the kitchens?" I suggested. Ron grinned, grabbing my hand as we headed downstairs.

We sat upon our usual spot on the countertop, legs dangling as we munched on our favorite snacks.

"Harper?" Ron said after a moment of silence.