year 2 | chapter 3

weasley's got himself a howler

The next day was the beginning of classes, and we started our morning in Herbology.

"Welcome to greenhouse 3, second years!" Professor Sprout greeted us. She began talking about the Mandrakes we'd be repotting today. Hermione, not surprisingly, earned 10 points for Gryffindor already with her knowledge. "Now as our Mandrakes are only seedlings, their cries won't kill you yet, but they could knock you out for several hours, which is why I've given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection. So could you please put them on right away?"

We all grabbed the earmuffs in front of us and put them on. I looked over at Ron wearing the earmuffs and giggled lightly. "What's so funny?" Ron whispered, looking over at me.

"No, no, they look cute," I whispered back, still trying not to laugh as I tried to fix his hair.

"Shut up, Harper," Ron lightly shoved me, running his hands through his hair.

"You grasp your Mandrake firmly, you pull it sharply out of the pot," she pulled out the Mandrake as she explained it, and its cry was high-pitched and awful to listen to. Everyone covered their ears, even over the earmuffs. "Now dunk it in the other pot," she continued, placing the Mandrake inside, "and pour a little sprinkling of soil to keep him warm."

To the right of me, Neville made a noise and then collapsed onto the ground.

"Neville's been neglecting his earmuffs," Professor Sprout commented.

"No, ma'am, he's just fainted," Seamus said.

"Right, well, just leave him there," Sprout responded. Ron and I exchanged a glance. "On we go."

All of us got to take a turn at it. We all grabbed our Mandrakes and pulled them up, dozens of Mandrakes began their high-pitched squealing that assaulted my ears. We placed them in the next pot and began adding soil to them.

Suddenly though, the screeches got much louder and I felt myself falling to the floor.

"Harper!" I heard Ron shout before everything went black.

I woke up a few hours later, groaning and stretching in bed. Then I abruptly opened my eyes, very confused. I looked around to see Ron, Hermione, and Harry staring at me intently.

"You're awake!" Harry said excitedly.

"What...what happened?" I asked.

"Malfoy thought it'd be funny to remove your earmuffs," Ron scoffed.

"Did I pass out in front of everyone?" I asked, eyes wide. They nodded. "That's so embarrassing!" I dropped my face into my hands.

"Only a few Slytherins laughed," Ron tried to comfort me, and I shot him a glare.

"Not helping," I shook my head. "How did I get here?"

"Harry tried to carry you, but he wasn't strong enough," Ron laughed. "So I carried you up here." I smiled at him as he blushed slightly.

"Ah, Miss Harper," Madame Pomfrey greeted me. "Nice to see you finally awake. The Mandrake scream only knocked you out for a few hours, but you should be good to go now." She smiled at me. I nodded before getting up out of bed.

"Woah, woah, careful," Ron said, holding onto my arm.

"I'm fine, Ron," I told him, but his grasp stayed on my arm as I stood up.

"You up for some lunch?" Harry asked me, and I nodded. We walked to the Great Hall, and the entire time Ron was had his hand lightly pressed against my back to make sure I didn't fall again. I would've told him that I'm fine and that wasn't necessary if I didn't like it so much.