Trick or Treat, Freak (part 2)

*edited as of 6.29.2022*

The five of us walked through the school hallway feeling absolutely humiliated. Kids laughed at our faces. I exchanged a look with Mike, but we didn't say anything. I had some books out in front of me and I held them close with one arm while I held his hand.

"When do people make these decisions?" Dustin asked.

"Everyone dressed up last year." Will said.

"It's not that bad." I tried to lighten up the mood.

Lucas looked over at me, "That's easy for you to say, you don't look like an idiot." I rolled my eyes in response.

"It's a conspiracy, I'm telling you." Dustin mumbled.

"Just be cool." Mike whispered, and we continued to walk through the hallway together.

"Who are you going to call?" One of the students taunted at us. "The nerds!"

My eyes darted to the student who said that, and I thought about just lifting his whole entire body up in the air and flinging him. I growled, and started to do so until Mike stopped me. "(Y/n), (Y/n) stop!" Mike said, holding my hand in his. "Not here. You can't risk getting in trouble here."

"But-"

"We're no better than them if we stoop to their level." Mike said softly to me. "Plus, you're supposed to keep your powers on the down low."

"Fine." I muttered. "But I'm still not happy."

"I know, but I don't think a trip to the police station is going to make things better." He said, and we went to our lockers together, leaving everyone to their things. 

I put in my combination. "Three to the left, four to the right." I muttered to myself as I turned the dial.

~~~

*Third person POV*

"We gonna do this?" Dustin asked as they closed their lockers.

"Not right now." Lucas said. "We look like morons."

They had turned to see Max rolling on her skateboard to her locker. She placed her skateboard inside. "Maybe she likes Ghostbusters."

"Of course she likes Ghostbusters, but that's not the point. The point is, we're dressed up, and she isn't."

"I didn't bring regular clothes." Dustin said, "Did you?"

"No."

"Then, we have no choice. We gotta do this. It's now or never."

"Right." Lucas shrugged his shoulders, and started to inhale and exhale.

"Let's engage."

They started to walk forward, but they couldn't move. They were frozen in place, unable to find the courage to talk to the new girl. The sound of the locker slamming shut snapped them out of it.

"We're not gonna tell my sister about this, right?"

"Yup." Lucas managed to say, trying not to barf.

"Okay."

~~~

*(Y/n)'s POV*

I walked with Dustin and Lucas after class so they could talk to the new girl. They practically begged me so I could support them - and by support them, I mean, I'll probably laugh at how badly this is going to turn out.

So, I stood behind them, listening to their conversation and also not showing any interest. I had my back against the locker nearby.

Dustin started to clear his throat. "Hi, Max." He greeted and then introduced himself. "I'm Dustin, this is Lucas."