The Mind Flayer (part 2)

*(Y/n)'s POV*

We hatched up an escape plan together.

"Look, this is us," We watched Dr. Owens mark the little x mark on the map. "And this is the nearest exit." He pushed the top layer of the map over to reveal the next floor, and marked the exit. "But even if we somehow make it there, there's no way out."

"What do you mean?" Hopper asked.

"The locks are fail secure."

"Fail secure?" Mrs. Byers asked.

"If there's a power outage, the building goes on lockdown." Dr. Owens explained.

"Can it be unlocked remotely?" Bob asked.

"With a computer, sure, but somebody's gotta reset the breakers."

"Where are the breakers?" Hopper asked, and I placed a finger to my chin in a thinking pose.

"Breakers are in the basement, three floors down."

"Hey, where are you going?" Bob asked Hopper as he started walking away from us.

"To reset the breakers."

"Okay, then what?" Bob asked.

"Then, we get out of here."

"No, then the power comes back on. If you wanna unlock the doors, you have to reboot the computer system, and then override the security codes with a manual input."

"Fine." Hopper rolled his eyes. "How do I do that?"

"You can't." Bob said. "Not unless you know BASIC."

"I don't know what that means." Hopper said.

"It's a computer programming language." Mike and I said together. Everyone glanced at the both of us.

"Teach it to me."

Bob scoffed, "Shall I teach you French while I'm at it, Jim? How about a little German? How about you, Doc? You speak BASIC?"

All three of us shook our heads in defeat. "No." Dr. Owens replied.

"Okay, I got this." Bob whispered. "I got this."

"No, Bob..." Mrs. Byers walked over to him. She pulled him in for a hug.

"It's okay." He reassured her with a whisper. "It's gonna be okay. Remember, Bob Newby, superhero."

"Hey, why don't you let me tag along?" I asked suddenly, and everyone looked at me.

"What?" Mrs. Byers asked me. "No, honey, you can't."

"Sure I can." I nodded. I felt Mike elbow me, and I looked at him. He shook his head and gave me a look that said, "You're supposed to stay low."

"But, what are you-"

"I can help provide protection." I said, and I heard Dr. Owens chortle. I glared at him. "It might not be much, but I'm just someone who can help lend a hand if things go downhill."

The adults weren't pretty keen on having a child looking after an adult, but they somehow agreed. I just couldn't explain it to them how I acquired these powers. I was just gonna have to lay low until then.

Mike pulled me over to the corner. "What are you thinking?" He asked softly.

"I was thinking I could be of help to Bob." I whispered back. "If there's just one of them, sure, I can take one of them down, but if there's others, I need to prepare myself."

"It's...it's too risky." Mike said, and then he frowned. "I can't lose you, too."

"You won't lose me." I reassured him, placing my hand on his cheek.