The Mind Flayer (Part 4)

*(Y/n)'s POV*

"The Mind Flayer." Dustin repeated, standing at the front of the table. We all crowded around the kitchen table with Hopper, Nancy, and Jonathan joining up with us.

"The hell is that?" Hopper asked.

"It's a monster from an unknown dimension." Dustin explained. "It's so ancient that it doesn't even know its true home." Everyone else just kind of looked at Dustin, waiting for him to explain further. "Okay, it enslaves races of other dimensions by taking over their brains using its highly-developed psionic powers."

Hopper rolled his eyes. "Oh, my god, none of this is real. This is a kids' game."

"No, it's a manual." Dustin said, "And it's not for kids." He held up a finger. "And unless you know something that we don't, this is the best metaphor-"

"Analogy." Lucas corrected.

I placed a hand over my forehead and sighed.

"Analogy." Dustin asked. "That's what you're worried about? Fine. An analogy for understanding whatever the hell this is."

"Okay," Nancy cut in. "So this mind flamer thing-"

"Flayer." Dustin corrected. "Mind flayer."

"Oh, Dustin, calm down." I rolled my eyes.

"What does it want?" Nancy sighed.

"To conquer us, basically." Dustin said. "It believes it's the master race."

"Like, uh...like the Germans?" Steve asked, and we all just stared at him.

"Uh, the Nazis?" Dustin asked, making sure Steve knew his history.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, the Nazis."

"If the Nazis were from another dimension, totally. Uh, it views other races, like us, as inferior to itself."

"It wants to spread, take over other dimensions." Mike filled in next to me.

"Guys, we are talking about the destruction of our world as we know it." I said.

"That's great. That's great." Steve panicked, walking away. "That's really great. Jesus!"

"Okay, so if this thing is like a brain that's controlling everything, then if we kill it..." Nancy said.

"We kill everything it controls." Mike said.

"We win." I said.

"Theoretically." Lucas said.

"Great, so how do you kill this thing?" Hopper took the book from Nancy. "Shoot it with Fireballs or something?"

Dustin chuckled to himself, probably imagining a scene in his head where we do in our party. "No." He chuckled. "No, no, Fire- No Fireballs. Uh, you summon an undead army, because - because...zombies, you know, they don't have brains, and the-the mind flayer, it..it...it likes brains."

I crossed my arms and gave a concerned look to my brother.

He was really excited, but the more he spoke about it, the more he saw the look on Hopper's disappointed face. "It's just a game." Dustin said. "It's a game."

"What the hell are we doing here?" Hopper grumbled. He slapped the book back down on the table in front of me, and I jumped in surprise. Mike kept his hand on my shoulder and I shrugged at him.

"I thought we were waiting for your military backup?"

"We are!" Hopper shouted.

"Even if they come, how are they gonna stop this?" Mike asked. "You can't just shoot this with guns!"