The Gate (Part 4)

*Third Person POV*

An ice pack was placed on Steve's forehead. He was waking up in a daze and he looked around. He saw a figure holding up the gasoline. "Na-ncy...?" Steve slurred, and Mike turned to look at him with an odd look.

Steve winced and started to place his hand over his forehead. "No, don't touch it." Dustin stopped him.

He turned to look up at Dustin, but everything was still blurry. "Hey, buddy..." Dustin whispered, and gave him a goofy smile. He shushed him before Steve spoke up. "It's okay, you put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a good fight, buddy. You're okay."

Steve wanted to get up, but he just felt like a boulder had crushed his chest. He placed his hand over the ice pack. He knew he was in the car, but to who was driving?

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for half a mile," he heard Lucas say up front. "Then make a left on Mount Sinai."

"Wha's goin' on...?" Steve slurred, and Max at the wheel turned to look at him briefly. He widened his eyes in realization that he was in the back seat with Dustin and Nancy's little brother. "Oh, my god!"

"Just relax..." Dustin calmed him down, but Steve continued to panic. "She's driven before." That's not the point, dude! Steve thought.

"Yeah, in a parking lot." Mike rolled his eyes.

"That counts." Lucas said.

"Oh, my god." Steve said.

"They were gonna leave you behind." Dustin said.

"Oh, my god..." Steve started to sit up slowly.

"I promised that you'd be cool, okay?"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!" Steve finally came back to focus. Everyone started to yell again, and Max pushed down on the pedal. "What's going on?!"

"Oh, my God." Steve panicked some more. "No! Whoa! Stop the car. Slow down!"

"I told you he'd freak out!" Mike said angrily.

"Stop the car!" Steve shouted.

"Everybody shut up!" Max roared. "I'm trying to focus!"

"Oh, wait, that's Mount Sinai!" Lucas pointed at the street sign. "Make a left!"

"What?" Max asked.

"Make a left!"

She drove onto the grassy part of the road, and made a huge turn. Everyone started screaming and Steve grab hold of Dustin.

They made it to the meadows to roll to a stop. "Whoa!" Everyone said.

"Incredible." Mike whispered.

"I told you." Max unbuckled herself and walked out of the car. "Zoomer."

Everyone got out of the car to put on protective gear, ignoring Steve. Steve got out of the car. "Guys..." He mumbled. "Oh, no. Guys. Hey, where do you think you're going?" He called out to Mike who walked past with the gasoline. "What are you, deaf? Hello!? We are not going down there right now. I made myself clear." He kept his body leaned against the car as everyone walked past him. They continued to ignore him and got to work. "Hey, there is no chance we're going to that hole, all right? This ends now!" He grabbed Dustin's gear and Dustin sighed.

"Steve!" Dustin shouted at him, turning him around. "You're upset, I get it. But the bottom line is, a party member requires assistance, and it is our duty to provide that assistance. Now, I know you promised Nance that you would keep us safe." He grabbed the bat with nails and handed it to Steve. "So, keep us safe."