The Pollywog (Part 3)

*(Y/n)'s POV*

That was when Dustin and I pulled the books out from our backpacks. "At first, I thought it was some type of pollywog." I said.

"Pollywog, (Y/n)?" Max asked. We were all sitting on the edge of the table. Mike had his arm around my waist.

"It's another word for tadpole." I shrugged at her and she nodded in acknowledgement.

"A tadpole is the larval stage of a toad." Dustin explained.

"I think she's well aware of that, Dustin." I said, rolling my eyes as Max says, "I know what a tadpole is."

"All right, then you know that most tadpoles are aquatic, right?" Dustin asked. He flipped over the book of the frog cycle. "Well, Dart, he isn't. (Y/n) and I found out he doesn't need water."

"Yeah, but aren't there non-aquatic pollywogs?" Lucas asked.

"Terrestrial pollywogs?" I asked, Lucas just shrugged his shoulders. "Yep. Two to be exact. Dustin?"

I looked at him as he flipped to the bookmarked page on the next book. "Indirana semipalamata." He said, and pulled out another book. "And the Adenomera andreae. One's from India, one's from South America. So how did one end up in our trashcan last night?"

"Maybe some scientists brought it here, and it escaped?" Max asked.

Mike tapped on my shoulder and I looked over to Dart. "Do you guys see that?" Mike asked. "Looks like something is moving inside of it." Dart was at the edge of his area and we watched the outer part of his body squelch.

Mike reached over to move the lamp overhead. Dart looked up and he sounded pissed. He screeched up at me and Mike and I backed up into him. We all gasped in surprise.

Dart jumped over the cables, and I moved out of the way. "Whoa." Dustin mumbled, and he caught Dart in his hand. He lifted him back up. "It's okay, it's okay..." We watched my brother smiling at Dart. The way he smiled at Dart was adorable, but creepy. "I got you, little guy." Dart chittered in the palm of his hands quietly. "I know you don't like that. It's okay."

Lucas gave him a really odd look.

"And there's another thing." Dustin said, looking back at us. "Reptiles, they're cold-blooded. Ectothermic, right? They love heat, the sun."

I came to realization. "Dart hates it." I whispered. Everyone looked at me. "It hurts him."

"So, if he's not a pollywog or a reptile..." Lucas slowly said.

"Then I've discovered a new species." Dustin said ecstatically.

We sat there quietly, until the bell rang. We were in deep thought about everything that was said, and we gasped. Mike grabbed my hand, and led me out of the AV club to get going to class.

"We gotta show him to Mr. Clarke." Lucas said after Dustin placed him back in the trap box.

"No, what if he steals my discovery?" Dustin asked.

"He's not going to steal your discovery." I said.

"You know, I'm thinking about calling it Dustonious pollywogus." Dustin said, and he grinned at me. "What do you think, sis? We're the ones that discovered him."

"I think you're an idiot." I said.

Dustin wasn't even fazed by my comment. Everyone else smirked at my comment as we walked to class. "You know, sis, when I become rich and famous for this one day, don't come crawling back to me, saying," he raised his voice to imitate me, "Oh, my god, big bro, I'm so sorry for being mean to you back in 8th grade. Oh, my god."