The Gate (Part 2)

After a mile down the road, Eleven was quiet.

"So, what, we're not just gonna talk about it?" Hopper asked quietly.

Eleven turned to Hopper and asked, "About what?"

"Oh, I don't know, (Y/n) and I are just curious, you know, why all of a sudden you look like some  kind of MTV punk." Eleven looked at me and I shrugged in the back, and she turned back to look out the window. "I'm not mad, kid. I just want to know where you've been. That's all."

"To see Mama."

My eyes widened as well. "Your mom?" I questioned.

"Okay." Hopper said, unsure whether or not he accepted it.

"How did you get there?" I asked.

"A truck."

"A truck?" Hopper asked.

"A big truck." Eleven said.

"A big truck? Who's truck was it?"

"A man's."

"A man's?" Hopper asked, and I was suprised.

"A nice man." Eleven said bluntly.

Hopper was still in shock. He looked at me through the rearview mirror and back at Eleven. He made sure he was still watching the road.

"Okay." I said, holding my hand up. "So, let me just get this straight. So, a nice man in a big truck drove you to your mom's and then what? El, that could've been dangerous. What really happened?"

"I-" She started to say, worry appearing on her face. "I shouldn't have left." She looked at Hopper and me and repeated the words "I shouldn't have left."

"Mmm-mmm..." Hopper mumbled, keeping his eyes on the road. "No...No, this isn't on you, kid. I should've been there. I should never have lied to you about your mom."

"What about (Y/n)'s?" Eleven asked.

"My mom?" I asked. "What about my mom?"

Hopper's jaw tightened as he prepared what Eleven was about to say. "You're the missing experiment. Your mom...she..." Eleven said, "She died after giving birth to you, I'm sorry, (Y/n)." I looked at Hopper, who didn't make contact with me. "I found files in the cabin before I left, and your mom, she...they got to you both and they killed her."

"What-?" I managed to say, then I turned to Hopper. "You knew? You knew this whole time I was a missing experiment? Wh-? How- Why didn't you tell me?!"

"Because, (Y/n), while I put two and two together, you suffered from memory loss for at least three years! I had to cut you some slack." Hopper said. "But now you know, kid..."

"I-I can't be a missing experiment." I sputtered. "I don't even have a tattoo on my wrist!"

"Maybe not." Hopper muttered, "But did you ever think that the tattoo was covered up this whole time, somehow?"

I looked at my wrist to see the number 006 inked in. "That was not there three years ago."

"They must've used something to cover it up real good."

"I've been having these flashbacks of being back at Hawkins Lab as an experiment?!" I growled. "But Dustin and my mom-"

"They weren't a part of the cover up story." Hopper said. "Don't worry, I can tell you that much truth. Dustin's your brother and he loves you and so does your mom. So, don't you think that they're hiding something too. There's a lot of things I shouldn't have done to you two. Sometimes I feel like I'm..." Hopper took a deep breath and exhaled a sharp one. "Like I'm just some kind of black hole or something."