The Pollywog (Part 2)

*(Y/n)'s POV*

"Sweetie?" Mom asked me the following morning before school. I hardly ate any of the eggs she made for me. "Is everything okay?" I poked at it several times with my fork. "(Y/n)?"

"Hm?" I asked. "Oh, yeah. I'm fine." I shrugged.

"You don't seem fine." She said. "Want to talk about it?"

I shook my head, and started taking a bite of the scrambled eggs. Dustin was hurrying downstairs with his backpack over his shoulders. He started to grab toast from the toaster and shoved the whole thing in his mouth.

"It's just-" I said, ignoring Dustin frantically getting ready in the morning. "It's nothing." I sighed.

"Is it something to do with your boyfriend, perhaps?"

"No, mom..." I said. "I don't know. Maybe."

"Is there a girl?"

I felt my ears get hot. "Yes, but no. She's not here right now, but I don't know, Mike hasn't recently been himself. Every time I'm with him, he gets agitated around everyone, including me." Dustin removed the toast from his mouth after pouring himself some orange juice quick and chugged it down. I gave him a disgusted look at how fast he was eating. "Dustin, you're going to get sick."

"'s all right. I'll be fine." Dustin mumbled with his mouth full.

"Anyways, Will has these episodes, mom." I explained. "They're really hard to...explain, but it's terrifying. And the girl we had before is gone now, so I have a feeling Mike is missing her, and not thinking about us. I missed the way things used to be..." Mom frowned at me and she walked over to hug me and kiss the top of my head.

"Oh, sweetie..." She said. "Dustin, did you know about this?" We looked over to him before he walked out the door. "Dusty? Hey, aren't you going to take your sister?"

"Dustin!" I called out to him again, and he looked up at us with confusion. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, mhm." He said with toast hanging from his mouth. "I'm perfectly okay. Come on, (Y/n), we're going to be late!"

Mom planted a kiss on my cheek and she handed me my backpack. I put it on my shoulders, and waved goodbye. I followed Dustin out the door. "Are you sure you're okay?" I asked, stepping on the back pegs of his bike.

"I'll tell you about it on the way. We gotta head to the library first. Let's go!"

When we arrived, we searched around for books on reptiles.

We placed the stack of books on the countertop in front of the librarian. She stared at the stack in surprise and looked at my brother. "Mr. Henderson, you know the rules. Five at a time."

"Oh," He stammered, and counted the stack. "One, two, three, four, and five."

"Ten." She held up a card. "You already have five books checked out."

"My mistake." He said. "However, my sister and I are on a curiosity voyage, and we need our paddles to travel. And these books...these books are our paddles."

"Five, at, a time." She repeated.

"Are you shitting me?" Dustin actually asked.

"Dustin." I scolded.

"Excuse me?" the librarian also was appalled.

"What the hell is-" he pointed over her shoulder. Dustin turned to slap me in the chest to catch my attention. "(Y/n), quick!" He whispered, and I grabbed the books in a frantic.

"Wha- Dustin!" I said, running away with the rest of the stack.

"Mr. and Miss Henderson!" The librarian shouted after us.