Chapter 18

Sorry for any grammar mistakes

Hope you enjoy it

———————

"What?" she asked smiling.
"nothing" he said under his breath and looked out for a second. Hannah gave him a confused look.
"I think you should go to bed Harriet" Niall said standing up walking toward the sofas. He opened the newspaper and began reading it.
"okay" she said quietly.

Hannah was confused about Niall's sudden mood change.
She put Harriet to bed and walked toward Niall. She sat in front of him.

"Are you okay?" she asked.
"yeah" he said without removing his eyes from the newspaper.
"Are you sure?"
"I am sure"
"Did Harriet say something?"
"Nope"
She sighed remaining silent.

"Go to bed Hannah It's late" he said still not making eye contact with her.
"It's late for you as well."
"I'm not tired yet"
"Are you sure you're okay?"
"I am sure I am okay. Now good night"
"good night" she said quietly and walked back to their bedroom and laid down next to Harriet.

The next morning Hannah dropped Harriet back home. As she was walking toward the stairs she walked past Niall's office. She stopped looking at the closed doors. His mood was still tense and she had no idea why. Few seconds later Liam exited his office.

"Guard Payne" Hannah called.
"Your majesty" he bowed.
"A word" she said walking toward the dining table opposite of Niall's office.
"Is king Horan's mood different than yesterday?" she asked.
"I did sense some tense mood which he did not have yesterday your majesty"
"Did he by any chance say what caused his mood to be so tense?"
"No your majesty"
"Is he alone now?"
"Yes my queen"
She nodded at him. He bowed and walked away.

She walked by his office and knocked.
"Enter" King Horan said.
The guard opened the door for Hannah. She entered and courtesied. King Horan nodded at his guard and the guard closed the door giving the couple some privacy.

"Tell me" He said and went back to his paperwork.
"What happened last night?" she asked walking closer.
"What do you mean?"
"Niall your mood changed all the sudden. So don't say nothing has happened"
"Nothing happened. Except a very interesting conversation I had with Harriet."

"What conversation?"
"Something about you and who was it again .. oh yeah Louis" he said.
Her face dropped. She swallowed hard.
"What did she tell you?" she asked quietly.
"That you loved him. That when I proposed to you you were in a relationship with him"

"Niall that was in the past" she said in a low tone.
"But when we got married he was not in the past. Was he now? And he is a fucking guard in here!" He stood up.
"Yeah but he moved on. He's with someone else"
"How do you know that?"
She didn't answer him.

"You talked to him?"
"Niall"
"You know what? Right now I'm busy. We'll talk about it later" he said sitting back down focusing on the papers in front of him.
"Niall I-"
"I said not now Hannah"
She looked down.
"You can be dismissed" he said.
She courtesied and left rushing to her room and began crying.

Night time arrived. Someone knocked on Hannah's door.
"Enter" she said. Samantha came in and bowed.
"Your majesty your dress for tomorrow's event has arrived" she informed Hannah.
Hannah nodded and signaled her to bring it in. The dress was in its cover.
"Put it in the closet" she said.
They placed the dress in the closet and left. Few minutes later Niall came in. He changed his clothes silently.

"You can't stay silent forever" she said. He glared at her but stayed silent.
"I don't understand why you're mad" she muttered.
"Because Hannah you were in love with someone else and you probably were still in love with him when you married me" he finally broke his silence.

"Why did you even marry me when your heart was already taken?" he asked.
"Would you let me go if I declined your proposal because of him?" she asked.
He didn't answer her.
"exactly" she whispered and walked toward their bedroom.
"How long were you going to keep that away from me?" he asked following her.

"Niall what I had with him was in the past. Would you tell me about your previous relationships? You didn't even tell me you were married" she said.
"I was going to tell you"
"When? I know for sure if Josephine never came back I would've never find out about her."
"Hannah my situation is different. I didn't love her and I was forced to marry he-"
He paused mid-sentence.

"Were you forced to marry me?" he asked brokenly.

"Oh my God of course you were. That's why it took you almost a week to open that door for me. That's why even when you opened the door you still didn't talk to me that much. Damn it you didn't even make eye contact with me" he said.

"But that was a month ago" she said.
"Is that why you were on pills?" he blurted.
She remained silent.
"It was because of him, wasn't it?"
"I .. I  mean"
"You thought I would divorce you because you can't get pregnant and you could go back to him, didn't you?"
"no" she replied.
"You're lying" he said.
"I mean that was not the only reason why I was on pills"
"You betrayed me Hannah. You betrayed me" he said and walked out.

The next day Niall completely ignored Hannah until it was almost time for the event. They both got ready an hour early.
"Niall" she called softly.
He looked at her.
"Have a seat. I need to talk to you"
He sat down and she sat across him.
"You deserve the truth and I will give it to you."
She took a deep breath and began.

"I was engaged with Louis"
He closed his eyes hearing that statement. That one sentence cut his skin deeper than a thousand sharp knives could've.

"Yes I loved him and he loved me as well. One month was left till our wedding day"
His breathing got heavy. He was in pain.
"The day you proposed to me Louis was out of town. And yes I was thinking about declining your proposal"
A tear rolled down his cheek with his eyes closed.

"But I thought about it. I thought if you figure out he is the reason that I am declining you, the king of Ireland, you would kill him. So I ended my engagement with him and married you" she said.
Another tear rolled down his cheek but his eyes were still closed.

"Yes I did talk to Louis few times but I was convincing him to move on. Because that's what I did. I moved on Niall. I don't think about him anymore. I don't even talk to him anymore"

"The night you opened the door" he said with a shaky voice still remaining his eyes shut.

"I did it because I knew I had to someday. And I thought if I don't you will start to search the reason and you would find out about him and" she trailed off.

"You married me to save him" he said quietly.

"You opened the door to save him" he opened his eyes.

"You didn't want to bare my children because of him"

"Was anything because of me Hannah?" he finally made eye contact with her.

*****
A/N
And Hannah finally told Niall the truth..