The Workshop - Part 1

(3rd person POV)

"Hello?" Hayley asks. "Who is this?"

"Hayley?" 

"Daniel?" Hayley realizes. "Whose number is this?"

"Uh, it's my moms phone, I think," Daniel answers.

"I don't understand."

"I got the ice!" Judy yells from the door.

"I have to hang up." Daniel threw the device back in the bag before knocking it over, spilling everything on the gym floor.

"Oh. What happened here?" Judy asks. 

"I knocked over your bag." Daniel goes back to pretending to be hurt. "I'll put everything back in.  What is that?" Daniel pointed to the weird device he just talked to Hayley through. 

"This?" Judy asks. "Just a makeup compact. You know this doesn't happen by magic."

—————

Hayley returned back to the Greenhouse that night and after curfew waited on a  bench outside the school to meet up with Daniel. Daniel reluctantly sat down at the opposite end of the bench from her and said,

"So I guess we need to talk..."

"Look, we both know that something is going on here," Hayley says. "Otherwise you wouldn't have shown up."

"So where'd you find that number?" He asks. 

"I found a secret safe in my moms bedroom." She answers. "And inside there was a note with a phone number on it." 

"I only happen to be near that thing when it rang." Daniel says. 

"It?"

"It's not a normal phone. It's some weird device I found in my moms bag." Daniel explains. 

"Okay, what was she doing with it?" 

"I have no idea." He shrugs. 

"You don't know much about your mom, do you?" Hayley scoffs. 

"Doesn't seem like you know much about yours, either." Daniel shoots back. 

"Look, you're not crazy about me, and the feeling is mutual, but if we wanna figure out what's going on here, we're gonna have to work together." She says, Daniel just looked at her. "What?" 

"Listen, I've been injured for a long time." Daniel says. "We have a game in three days."

"So?" 

"So I think this is a little much for me to handle right now." He answers her. 

"Fine, whatever." Hayley gets up to leave. "I'm glad to see you have your priorities in order."

"Hayley, wait." Daniel says. "You're right. Something is going on. We have to figure out what it is." 

"So now you want to help?" Hayley slowly walks back over to sit down again. 

"My mom always told me I was destined for great things in life. That I was special," He says. "Everyone in my family, friends, neighborhood... They all expect me to be this huge success. I've spent my whole life doing what everyone expects me to do. I'm sick of it."

"Look," Hayley jumps in. "You can't spend your entire lie trying to make other people happy. Including your mom."

"But we have to keep this quiet. No one can know we're working together." Daniel changes the subject away from himself. The ended the night with a handshake before heading back to their own clubhouses.