Chapter 13 || Birthday Party

"I did not sign up for this crap. I should be out partying with my friends," y/n growled getting into the car, making her sister laugh.

Her preference was to join Suho and a bunch of the guys working on the Genie project for drinks. She had become close to a few engineers while spending time on the project, and she was pissed she could not join them as she had to go to Tae-hyung's party.

Working on the project gave her a new high that she was doing it without Tae-hyung's knowledge. It was like she was getting back at him for all the times he was curt, rude, and most of all, dismissive of all her ideas.

"What are you complaining about?" Bora asked, shaking her head.

"You got the day off so you could attend the party."

"Attend? I am working there."

"There's barely any work at the party other than answering Tae-hyung's phone when all his friends call to tell him they are on their way." Bora laughed.

"Why does he need me for that? What kind of a job has such roles and responsibilities?" Y/n grumbled.

"Mine. Enjoy the party, and you are way underdressed."

"I am working, not partying." She slammed the car door shut and took a deep breath before turning to look at her sister and smile.

"His parents will be there and..."

Y/n raised her hand. "I am dressed appropriately, and I am not going to get decked out for them. I am not some potential match for your boss who is going to try and impress his parents." Bora laughed.

"Don't tell me I didn't warn you. His friends are..."

She didn't let her sister finish. "Got to go. You chill with Mom and Dad."

Her sister laughed. "You chill, too."

Y/n rolled her eyes before punching in the address on her phone she was given to show up for work that day. It was a Friday night, and she would have preferred spending time at home or with her friends instead of attending a party to work.

She pulled up in front of the building where the event was being hosted, and it seemed to have its own private road up a small hill. She parked her car on the street instead of the parking lot. The first opportunity she had to get away, she was going to and knew her car wouldn't be blocked by other cars if she parked outside the party venue. She secretly planned to leave early from Tae-hyung's party to join Suho and team for drinks.

It was four hours before the event started, and she looked around at the decorations that were being set up at the open space next to the large banquet hall. Y/n saw the set-up coming into shape and shook her head remembering the amount on the invoice from the event organizer.

A kid's party needed to be fun, not extravagant, but she shrugged off her thoughts and walked into the banquet hall where the event organizer seemed to be having a meltdown.

"Nancy, are you okay?"

The woman shook her head. "Ma'am... the carousel we ordered does not fit inside the banquet hall. They sent us the wrong size, and they don't have a small one available."

The woman who had looked like she had everything under control when she met her at the office a week ago looked shaken up. Y/n thought she was going to throw up right there.

"Nancy, where is the carousel?"

"It's still on the truck outside. They checked every entrance, and there is no way we can fit it in... no part of it." The woman let out a sob.