Chapter 10: Bracelet

Alaiya's POV:

I shut the door behind me as I walk to the corner of the hall with him, wiping more tears.

"I know you're not in the best mindset right now. Well, I don't think anyone would be. Not that I'm comparing your situation to anyone else because-." I see him beginning to rant, but I've been holding in so many tears that I don't even stop him.

I put my face in my hands, unable to process the fact that Roman may not wake up for a long time.

My heart is broken in places that I didn't even know it could be broken in. I always appreciated him, I just never thought about a time when he wouldn't be here for me to tell or show him how much I value the person he is.

Eldon pulls me into a hug, upset by the situation as well obviously. Roman and he may not have shown each other much love, but they were best friends. Eldon helped Roman when he and Rider were opening up the gym. Eldon even offered to support them financially if ever needed.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers.

I shake my head. "It's not your fault."

Maybe if I would've pushed Roman into telling me the truth, he wouldn't have gone. Maybe I could've stopped this? I'm mad at him, but not so extensively that I never want to hear from him again.

"Yes, it is." Eldon pulls away, making me confused because how could this be his fault? "Roman told me not to tell you, but I need to work on this and now that he isn't able to help me at the moment, I have to make sure you and your kids are safe."

"What are you talking-."

"The car accident wasn't an accident," he blurts out, taking me back instantly.

...what?

"What do-what do you mean?" I don't think my brain can handle any more surprises today.

"It started two weeks ago. Do you remember when Carson put that picture of you in front of everyone in English class?" he hesitates to bring that subject up.

Why is he bringing this up now? What does Carson have to do with any of this?

"Well, someone got ahold of it and was blackmailing Roman that if he didn't end things with you, they would expose the picture and ruin your career. Now obviously that's a crime, but once it's posted, it would've stayed on the internet and Roman said that he would never allow that."

I think I'm going to faint.

"So he came to me so I could get my team on it and find out who was doing it, but since it was a burner phone, we couldn't trace it."

My heart is beating so fast that I can hear it in my ears.

I don't know what to say or do.

"So Roman was with you when he said he was with Rider?" I stop my staring blankly at him and finally say something.

Eldon nods. "And my team looked at the footage on the roads. Alaiya, no one just drives into a random car sober and then tells the cops that he was in a rush back home to his family when their wife divorced them two years ago and she took their kids with her."

I stay quiet again as I process all this information because it's not something to be taken lightly. I may need a decade though to fully understand what the heck is going on!

Someone is out to get me and tried to get rid of Roman by doing so. How does someone react to that?! Does this stuff even happen to normal people?

"What can I do?" I finally break free from my wandering thoughts.