Chapter 46: Gremlins

Alaiya's POV:

You know when something big suddenly happens in your life and you're so in shock that you feel numb to it? I wish I could feel that. I wish I didn't feel my heart tightening in my chest and the painful flashbacks of every single memory I've ever had with my parents flickering in my head like a powerpoint.

In Vampire Diaries, they literally switch off their emotions. I never thought I'd be jealous of a vampire until now.

How does someone even feel numb to anything? How big does it have to be for something like that to happen because my parents randomly showing up at our door after not seeing me for years seems pretty significant? I wish I didn't care so much about everything. I wish I could be like those people who walk through life with their heads held high. Not just people though, women. Strong and mentally stable women who can stand their own ground.

No, you know what I'm doing instead? I'm forcing myself to sleep because sleeping is my favorite way to avoid big problems like this.

I feel weak and I despise it.

"Look who wants to see her mom!" Skyler walks into our bedroom suddenly with Aubrey in her arms after knocking of course.

My eyes feel heavy and squinted, the light from the sunset hitting me like a bullet.

I can't control the smile that comes onto my face when I see both of them.

The second Skyler sets Aubrey down in my arms, she hugs me tightly and doesn't let me go with her arms around my back. She seems to be half-asleep but keeps jerking her eyes open to smile up at me.

I lied. Our kids, Roman, our friends, and sleep are the only things that can help me get through problems like this.

I wrap my arms protectively around Aubrey because I want to shield her from all of this. I never want her to have the struggles I did growing up. I never want her to see me in the position that I had to see my mother in. I want her to have a strong mom to whom she can look up to. I want everything for her, Dayton, and Autumn.

"Don't forget me!" Skyler walks over on the other side and hugs me the way I'm hugging Aubrey. "You even wake up looking pretty. It's so unfair."

I laugh at her mumble because I know very well that I most likely look like a mess every time I wake up, especially from a nap.

"Don't lie to me," even my voice sounds drained.

"If I wasn't a married woman, I promise that you'd be on my soulmate list that no one even knew about because that's how VIP it is," she states firmly.

"Who else is on that list?" I question curiously.

"Theo James of course." I already knew about that one. "Ivy, Bethane, Iris, oh, and Jaxon I guess." I laugh at that.

"How is Sanchez?"

"We were on our way to a random park, and the second Roman told us what happened, he turned that car around so freakin' fast to make sure that you were okay."

Guilt consumes me simultaneously.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ruin your plans."

"If you ruined our plans, don't you think that we wouldn't have come or made up an excuse? I'm not kidding when I say that Jaxon swerved that car around. That's the point of our friend group. When I needed you guys, you were there immediately, and when you need me or any one of us, we'll be there too. It's how our family works." She smiles at me while laying on my shoulder.

"Why do I feel like you guys are here for me more than I am for you?" Tears swarm my eyes.

"Are you kidding me!? Alaiya, I one time said that I loved a specific kind of chocolate randomly, and for my birthday, you got me the specific one even though they were at literally no stores in the country and you also got me different flavors of the brand that you knew I'd like and I did. And if any one of us has any problems, you are the first person to respond and help us in any way you can. You don't give yourself enough credit for how caring you are."